Title: Area Manager – Minnesota
Hoffman Construction grew up as a road building company in Wisconsin. They expanded its operations into Minnesota in 2003. Added a new Sand Mining market in 2011 for the oil and gas industry. We self-perform the grading/excavating, mining, storm sewer, culvert pipes, mse walls, and gravel placement/crushing.
Hoffman Construction is seeking an Area Manager to be located out of Minnesota!
Position Summary: Direct MN regional effort by providing overall administrative and technical management on heavy highway construction projects from bid solicitation, preparation, construction management through final acceptance by owner. Will be responsible for coordinating with Estimating, V.P. Operations Manager and Equipment for project needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in establishing & staffing MN region. Oversee staff including estimator, project engineer/manager, and superintendents.
- Supervise total regional construction effort to ensure projects are constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule. Includes interfacing with client representatives, engineer representatives, other subcontractors, etc. Implement company safety polices. Develop craft workers.
- Plan, coordinate and oversee regional onsite functions (scheduling, engineering, material control, and may provide direction of onsite administrative staff in field engineering, crafts, etc.). Coordinate with V.P. Operations Manager & Equipment for labor & equipment needs. Assist in company strategic efforts.
- Provide technical assistance, i.e., interpretation of drawings, recommending construction methods and equipment, etc., as required. Initiate and maintain extra work estimating and issuance of change orders. Participate in regional trade groups (AGC of MN, MN DOT, etc).
- Solicit bids, meet & establish relationships with large owners, oversee estimating process. Coordinate bidding with Estimating Manager. Prepare complete job budget upon award based on estimate. Assist in contract award including schedule, environmental plan, subs, etc. Conduct detailed review of proposal specifications, drawings, takeoff information, contracting with Estimating at Job Kickoff meeting Record information such as personnel, production, or operational data and forward in a timely manner.
- Perform additional assignments per Supervisor's direction.
Job Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Four year engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience.
- Have shown proven track record in successful management of multiple heavy/highway construction projects.
- Minimum of 15 years construction management, estimating, and/or craft supervision experience in similar facility construction.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction (technology, equipment, methods); craft agreements, jurisdiction, negotiations; engineering, estimating, schedules and safety required.
- Excellent communication, organizational and supervisory skills essential.
- Computer skills required – thorough knowledge of word documents, spreadsheets, scheduling & estimating software.
- Monitoring and assessing the overall performance of the project and the employees, and making improvements.
Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.