The Flight Test Electrical Systems Engineer performs technical planning, electrical systems design, electrical systems interface definition, electrical system integration, electrical system verification and validation test support, cost and risk analyses, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems. Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal. Supports systems engineering and systems engineering architect in logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. Performs electrical loads testing and analysis, basic circuit design and test, designs power protection and safety interlock features, trade studies, electrical system requirements allocation and electrical interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into electrical hardware and software specifications. Works with existing aircraft AC and DC power sources and converts into useful power for programs by the most efficient and safe means.
Aids avionic programs in all aspects of flight testing to include:
• Supporting program proposals with cost and schedule estimates for flight testing
• Developing and implementing electrical systems installation and aircraft integration to include testing methodology, mechanical, electrical, cooling, support avionics and instrumentation
• Assisting programs in electrical systems design and testing including electrical systems design, aircraft platform power distribution to systems, circuit protection, and safety interlocks during design phase. Assist with cable fabrication and checkout, ground tests, flight run card preparation and review, pre and post flight briefings during flight test portion of programs
• Extended work hours and deployments with test aircraft to meet programs' flight test requirements
• Interfacing with customers, program personnel including management, integration and test, and system design engineers and systems architects
• Interfacing with air vehicle managers, mechanics, inspectors, mechanical design engineers, and other flight test engineers to accomplish electrical design, modification, installation, and documentation