Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work. ScienceDirect delivers the worlds' leading journals electronically to over 11 million readers in 200 countries. And physicians in 95 percent of teaching hospitals rely on MD Consult to get critical information that can save lives.
Technology is the key to Elsevier. Your challenge will be to excite the brightest minds in the work they do. You will be redefining how our customers use our information; and developing innovative and impactful solutions on eBooks, apps, complex point-of-care products and more. Imagine the pride that comes from launching such new products. To succeed, you will need to be both commercially minded and technology focused. And equally important is the passion and commitment to making a positive difference to the world. All these in an exciting and evolving workplace which offers all the career opportunities expected of a prestigious, global company.
Due to the continued growth of Science Direct www.sciencedirect.com
the market leading scientific information resource we now require additional Senior Software Engineers
to join this successful team developing software for this $Bn product using innovative technology to drive continual improvement. As a Senior Software Engineer you will be accountable for working with the product team to develop and deliver the highest quality software.
ScienceDirect is home to almost one-quarter of the world's peer-reviewed full-text scientific, technical and medical content. Over 15 million researchers, health care professionals, teachers, students and information professionals around the globe rely on ScienceDirect as a trusted source of nearly 2,500 journals and more than 26,000 book titles. ScienceDirect supports research and education with interactive elements in articles such as audio, video, graphs, tables and images, and offers tools so users can keep current with research trends. Content on ScienceDirect also features embedded links to external datasets, including earth and environmental science data from PANGAEA, abstract and indexing data from Scopus and chemical reactions data from Reaxys. With over 12.6 million content pieces available—including pre-publication articles and open access content from Elsevier journals—ScienceDirect is a premier platform for discovering the world of research.
- Interfaces with internal customers to gather requirements and provide recommendations on complex technical tasks.
- Independently performs analysis to develop and implement high level designs for assigned projects.
- Remains current on industry standards and advances within area of expertise
- Diagnoses complex system problems and system performance problems using available standard performance tools and system indicators such as queue lengths.
- Recommends and performs changes in system parameters or code to obtain optimum system performance
- Participates in design, code and test reviews
- Finds and recommends opportunities for continuous improvement
- Makes decisions within their ability and authority
- Implements, maintains and supports application software that is delivered on time and within budget
- Analyzes and troubleshoots software problems
- Makes recommendations towards the development of new code or reuse of existing code
- May participate in component and data architecture design, performance monitoring, product evaluation and buy versus build recommendations
- Makes recommendations on the impact and implementation of new technologies/development methodologies
- Works closely with Business Analysis and Project Management functions to ensure correct technical design
- Modifies and/or writes technical and operator documentation
- Participates in the development and usage of (increasingly efficient) standards
Responsibilities specific to this career ladder level:
- May provide guidance/training to more junior staff