We are seeking an architect with significant professional experience, and who is recognized as an expert in the following area: performance and system analysis.
The Samsung SDS Research America provides thought leadership and direction on key areas of technology affecting SDS.
These areas include the datacenter and everything inside of it: servers, storage, networking hardware, power and cooling efficiency, energy recovery, and the software needed to use it all – everything from datacenter control systems up through virtualization software and cloud software layers (e.g. OpenStack). We also provide underlying architectural support for emerging development areas, e.g. big data and Internet of Things.
For each of these areas we propose, direct and participate in projects that are both inwardly-focused (importing these technologies in a way that benefits SDS) and outwardly-focused (e.g. contributing technologies developed or furthered within SDS into the open source community). Our mission is to stay on the leading edge of research in each of these areas, and to manage the adoption of these technologies by our large IT infrastructure. Requirements:
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience
• Deep expertise in at least one area of concentration (outlined above), plus additional expertise in multiple other areas.
• Track record of contribution to an external community (academic, commercial or open source) in one or more areas of concentration
• Excellent writing skills; can create publication-worthy articles in English.
• Track record of creating IP, either proprietary or open source
• Strong record of delivering results with deep business impact
• Ability to work in communities, e.g. standards / industry groups / open source
• Passion for pushing technical boundaries, track record of advocacy and persuasion
• Subject matter expertise demonstrated by education, work experience, and/or publications Responsibilities:
To carry out this mission, we need architects who not only have a deep understanding of these core technologies, but who can also craft the correct strategy for their consideration and potential implementation. This includes effectively explaining what these technologies can bring to SDS (including cost/benefit analyses), training engineers and others on how to use/deploy them, and helping to spearhead PoCs (Proofs of Concept) and initial implementations.
We expect our architects to exert external influence in their fields. This may take the form of participation in open source communities, writing articles and papers, and acting as advisors to other projects.
The team of architects combined will have expertise in all the areas outlined below. Individual architects therefore must have expertise in one or more of them. Our architects will have a strong development background, will have a track record showing their deep understanding of at least one area detailed below, and have a demonstrated aptitude to quickly learn about the others.
Performance and Systems. Demonstrated track record at understanding very large systems, with the ability to perform a deep analysis of the systems performance and correctness. The successful candidate will most likely have a background in either high performance computing or distributed systems. Extremely polished analytical skills a must.