Position Title: Controls Engineer
Department: Manufacturing Engineering and Plant Services
Position Reports To: Manager of Controls, Electrical Systems and IS
Position Supervises: N/A
Pay Level: Grade 7 to 10
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Columbus, OH
Role model and demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety of others. Provide engineering design, guidance, programing and support for industrial control systems, programmable logic controllers, human machine interfaces, drives, motion (servo), networks, and Supervisor Control and Data Acquisition systems. Provide information, training and developmental opportunities, and technical resources for plant team members. This position is a subset of the manufacturing engineering group that identifies, installs, and supports systems and applications which drive manufacturing processes.
Essential Job Functions:
Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Engineering Services - Maintain and program PLC based control systems for manufacturing automation and instrumentation. Support plant projects and assist project leaders with the technical skills for automation and adherence to automation standards and specifications. Generate and maintain wiring schematics, control drawing and automation programs.
- Technical Assistance - Resource for electrical controls. Coordinates installation, maintenance and enhancement of electrical control systems, both hardware and software, including PLC, thin-clients, HMI and drives. Assist in end-user training for plant systems and applications.
- System Support - Support system integrators, original equipment manufacturers, project engineers, and the manufacturing plants in the design, implementation, and start-up assistance of controls and automation projects. Competent to work on most complex projects fairly independently. Maintains documentation of systems (hardware, software, etc.) of medium to high complexity. Ensures all service packs & patches are current on all hardware & software.
- Leadership - Support the interviewing process as needed the hiring of plant technical resources. Works with Project Engineers and Plant Engineers to develop capital appropriations. Confers with & advises subordinates on administrative policies & procedures, technical problems, priorities, & methods. Reviews all system & network access policies to ensure compliance with Corporate Audit Standards. Train, coach and mentor the automation control process for manufacturing plant colleagues.
- Out-Sourcing Analysis - Provides support services on projects for System Integration firms; assist plants in determining requirements & assessing value of proposed services.
- Communications - Provides management with periodic status reports. Dialog between plants, divisions & general office. Attends needed department staff meetings.
Some of the Behaviors needed to successfully perform this position are:
- Puts The Customer First - Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers’ expectations, gains customers’ trust & respect.
- Communicates Effectively & Candidly - Communicates clearly & directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people & helps them understand change, provides & seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
- Achieves Results Through Teamwork - Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively & collaboratively, holds self & others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual & team goals.
- Leads Through Positive Influence - Demonstrates strong character; builds partnerships; models a conscious balance between work & personal life; takes personal responsibility for own development; role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion & trust.
- Coaches & Develops Others - Develops & cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values & manages diversity, provides candid & constructive feedback.
- Leads Change & Innovation - Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions & implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
- Executes With Excellence - Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations & milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.
- Provides Clear & Strategic Direction - Plans & organizes well, sets a clear & simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize & plan for the future, understands the industry & marketplace.
- Safety Awareness -Identifying & correcting conditions that affect employee safety; upholding safety standards.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Electrical Engineering preferred
- Proven experience in PLC logic and programming of AB - CLX, PLC5, & SLC; and HMI
- Proven experience in Motion Control and SCADA programming and configuration of Wonderware’s Archestra based applications - Intouch, System Platform, Historian, and Rockwell’s RSViewME
- Experience with AB PowerFlex VFD and Kinetic drives, & fieldbuses technologies - Ethernet/IP, ControlNET, & DeviceNET
- Five (5) or more years of progressive related technical and hands on experience.
- Excellent communication skills and leadership behaviors.
Desired Previous Job Experience
Change management of PLC firmware, software, and applications files.
Development of PLC & HMI programs using Ethernet/IP or other field-buses. Integrating robotic systems, development of servo mechanism, inspections systems - vision, x-ray, metal detection, etc.
Knowledge and experience with IT systems - Microsoft (server, SQL, etc.) Oracle, MES, SCADA, and Infinity QS - SPC software / applications.
Potential Career Path from this position:
Manager of Controls, Electrical Systems and IS