Labor and Delivery Unit Description:
South Austin Hospital's Women's Services department is divided into 4 areas L&D, Postpartum, Level I Nursery and, Level II Nursery. We have a 24-bed post partum/gyn surgical unit, which consists of post partum mothers, GYN surgical patients, and occasional med/surg overflow. Our Level I Nursery is equipped for 16 newborns. 3 bed Level II Nursery. South Austin Hospital's Labor and Delivery unit consists of 7 LDR's, 2 Labor Rooms, 3 Ante partum rooms, 3 bed recovery rooms, two c-section suites, and 1 GYN operative suite. We currently have an approximate delivery rate of 2000 births per year.
Our Women's Services nurses are very involved with patient education and safety. The nurses have adopted a new improved infant security system to increase the security and safety of our patients and their newborns. The staff has developed patient education booklets to supplement the 'Newborn Channel'. They have started lactation services for new parents and are very involved with educating prior to discharge. Women's Services has also developed new orientation manuals for the new staff at SAH. They are committed to training and educating all staff on board.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.
- Administers care for the obstetrical patient having surgical procedure in the Labor & Delivery Operating Suite.
- Intraoperative and post anesthesia care is in accordance with Hospital established standards of care. Performs steam sterilization processing of instruments and supplies for the MCH unit in accordance with Hospital standards for sterilization. Assures sterilization parameters have been met before utilizing supplies.
- Assists with the care of the newborn at deliveries.
- Maintains skills in neonatal resuscitation.
- Demonstrates assessment skills in both high risk and low risk obstetrical patients.
- Recognition of maternal and/or fetal problems are identified and reported to the physician.
- Assists with the transfer of newborn to another facility when indicated.
- Notifies charge nurse and House Supervisor of anticipated transfer.
- Notifies all surgical team members of emergency and scheduled surgical procedures.
- Accurately identifies and bands newborn, mother and significant others with matching identabands.
- Documents band identification number appropriately in medical record.
- Verifies band and medical record document with nursery upon arrival to nursery.
- Provides emotional support and assists in contracting Pregnancy Loss Support Group for parents/significant others experiencing grief due to newborn condition at birth, parental separation from newborn, neonatal death or fetal demise.
- Demonstrates knowledge and provides support to natural mother, agencies, and foster or adoptive parents when newborn is for adoption.
- Demonstrates knowledge of individual role in Hospital infant abduction plan.
- Demonstrate understanding of HCA's and 'Patients First' safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as directed or required.