Merchandising Manager provides day-to-day leadership to build strong customer relationships and support business growth to enhance profitability for Harbor Freight Tools. Handling and overseeing all the daily processes that are carried out in the store, in the absence of the Store Manager. Position must have a strong customer orientation to be successful. Position will be responsible for managing store personnel as appropriate including opening and closing of store. Position must be able to effectively communicate policies and procedures in a manner easily understood by associates and customers. Position reports directly to Store Manager. Position will be responsible for a variety of areas of the Sales Floor, Pricing Coordinator and the Assistant Pricing Coordinator activity. Ability to work varied hours/days including nights, weekends and holidays as needed. Understands and adheres to Harbor Freight Tools policies and procedures including overrides/returns, pricing and inventory accuracy, training and awareness to physical safety and security.
Technical Duties and Responsibilities:
• All Gondolas, this is to include:
• All Resets that are sent out as due that week. The Merchandising Manager will work directly with the Pricing Coordinator and Assistant Pricing Coordinator to ensure that the Planograms are set within the time frame allotted.
• Directly responsible for ensuring that the Display Planner is set correctly and in the time frame allotted.
• Directly responsible for the preparation and actual setting of all ads.
• Directly responsible for ensuring that all fixtures are maintained to Harbor Freight Tools standards and presentation.
• Will ensure open lines of communication with all members of management regarding the purge process.
• Managing and motivating the Team to increase sales and ensure efficiency.
• Ensuring quality customer service standards are met.
• Directs daily operations in order to provide quality products and services.
• Maintains and implements safety conditions and training to adhere to procedures and statutory regulations.
• Accountable for the execution of product and service quality by maintaining highest level of delivery.
• Promotes and supports workplace diversity initiatives.
• Manages by providing positive and constructive feedback to associates in order to reward, coach, correct and motivate.
• Supervises day-to-day work activities by delegating authority, assigning and prioritizing activities and monitoring operating standards.
• Establishes a safe work environment by performing safety audits and inspections, conducting safety-related training and maintaining on-going communications with associates.
• Directs daily operations including; cash control, planning, inventory, receiving, stocking and storage.
• Ensure proper staffing levels with trained associates.
• Maintains storage facilities conditions and monitors internal quality assurance.
• Responsible to ensure all associates are achieving productivity and sales goals
• Additional duties as assigned by management.
Typical Knowledge and Skills
• Communication and Influence: Requires verbal and written communication skills to convey information that may be somewhat complex, and/or to others who may have limited knowledge of the subject in question. Position may require basic negotiation and influence, cooperation, tact and diplomacy skills.
• Analytical Thinking: The ability to systematically gather information from a variety of resources. Analyze information, identify implications of data and draw appropriate conclusions. Gather viable, alternative solutions to a question or problem, and evaluate the consequences of choosing
• Interpersonal Relations: The ability to develop and maintain professional, trusting and positive working relationships with all levels of staff, customers and vendors.
• Diversity Awareness: The ability and willingness to be aware of, understand, respect, and value the diverse culture, ethnic, gender, age, education, professional, backgrounds and styles of others and to adapt ones own behavior based on that understanding.
• Customer Focus: The ability and willingness to provide excellent service to external/internal customers. This includes seeking to meet customer needs, expectations and demands quickly and effectively while remaining calm and professional. Reviewing external/internal customer complaints and taking action to reconcile the situation while treating the customer as valuable and instilling the same in their Team.
• Drive and Dependability: The ability and willingness to demonstrate eagerness, enthusiasm, optimism, and passion when working. This includes demonstrating commitment, persistence, and heightens personal effort in the face of obstacles and adversity. Pursuing excellence for self and organization, having a sense of urgency, possessing ambition and inspiring others.
• Stress Tolerance and Flexibility: The ability to work productively and effectively in a fast paced, stressful, demanding, and/or ambiguous environment.
• Delegating and Directing: The ability and willingness to delegate the authority to complete work activities, giving clear direction to assigned tasks while monitoring performance against a predetermined deadline to ensure quality and timely completion of assignments.
• Planning: The ability to set priorities, plan and coordinate work activities. This may include developing plans with long-range horizons based upon a sound knowledge of Harbor Freight Tools expectations.
• Team Building: The ability to motivate and guide others to work hard by building a sense of teamwork and commitment. This includes clearly communicating and reinforcing aims and goals of team, unity, cooperation and excellence.
• Communication: The ability to speak clearly and politely to management, associates and customers when conveying information. Always using correct grammar when speaking and never using slang terms while targeting the amount, style and content of the information to the needs of the receiver.
Supervisor provides general direction. Merchandising Manager independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed periodically (typically at major points in the assignment) and once complete to ensure objectives have been met.
Has direct responsibility of customer contact and manages the daily operations of a store through direct supervision of non-exempt/hourly associates.
Impact of Merchandising Manager Decision:
Decisions are moderate in nature, influencing project schedules, operations or customer satisfaction. Errors are detected and corrected with relatively minor financial impact or effect on projects, operations or customer relationships. May require involvement beyond immediate work group to correct.
Scope of Impact:
Decisions affect own work and the work of others within the department, unit and/or project.
Work is performed in an area that is adequately lighted and ventilated. Specific physical characteristics and abilities are required to perform duties such as, above-average agility and dexterity and long periods of walking, standing, bending or carrying moderately heavy items.