Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work. ScienceDirect delivers the worlds' leading journals electronically to over 11 million readers in 200 countries. And physicians in 95 percent of teaching hospitals rely on MD Consult to get critical information that can save lives. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Purpose of the Job:
The sucessful candidate will be centrally involved in the development of the middle tier of the Clinical Key application, the innovative next generation, online search tool that provides physicians with smarter, faster clinical answers. You will be tasked with performing research, design and software development assignments.
Key Result Areas
• Writes and reviews portions of detailed specification for the development of system components of simple to moderate complexity
• Interfaces with other technical personnel or team members to finalize requirements
• Provides feedback on technical tasks of simple to moderate complexity
• Develops low level designs
• Participates in design, code, and test reviews
• Perform support functions in validation cycle as required (i.e. test monitoring, debugging, problem resolutions etc.)
• Tests, implements, maintains and supports application software that is delivered on time and within budget
• Analyzes and troubleshoots software problems
• Makes recommendations towards the development of new code or reuse of existing code
• May participate in component and data architecture design, performance monitoring, product evaluation and buy versus build recommendations
• Makes recommendations on the impact and implementation of new technologies/development methodologies
• Works closely with Business Analysis and Project Management functions to ensure correct technical design
• Modifies and/or writes technical and operator documentation
• Participates in the development and usage of (increasingly efficient) standards
Displays High Integrity and Honesty
Always follows rules and does what is expected.
Does what s/he says s/he will do.
Remembers commitments and promises.
Is honest and ethical in decision making.
Is trusted by others to do the right thing.
Is fair and honest in how s/he treats others.
Drives for results
Builds commitment in others for their individual and team objectives.
Communicates expectations clearly.
Promotes a strong sense of urgency for reaching goals.
Follows through on commitments to ensure they are successfully completed and goal are achieved.
Follows through on commitments to ensure goal achievement.
Confident in taking action and removing obstacles to action.
Can be counted on to follow through on actions.
Encourages others to take their own initiative when faced with a problem.
Provides appropriate amount of information, resources and support without undermining the individual’s full ownership of objectives and their success.
Technical and Professional Expertise
Applies a detailed understanding of own work and relates effectively to overall business context.
Can be depended upon by manager and peers for technical or professional advice.
Delivers within own role to make an important contribution to the team.
Is able to resolve technical issues or questions quickly and effectively.
Solves Problems and Analyzes Issues
Is able to ask effective questions and collect facts from multiple sources in order to solve problems.
Is able to effectively identify and analyze problems and propose solutions.
Effectively manages daytoday issues and problems without intervention.
Develops new ideas to improve process or product, and is able to prepare implementation plans.
Integrates and builds on new ideas from others.
Creates new opportunities by applying different perspectives and challenging the status quo.
Is recognised as an innovative thinker.
Establishes rapport with others on the team and across teams. Works effectively with others to get work done. Handles difficult situations, minimising conflict. Treats all individuals with respect
Collaboration and Teamwork
Encourages cooperation between all members of the team.
Identifies and removes barriers to team performance.
Helps people to resolve conflict.
Identifies ways for further collaboration across teams.
Seeks team members’ input and expertise; facilitates open and interactive discussion of matters affecting the team.