Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work. ScienceDirect delivers the worlds' leading journals electronically to over 11 million readers in 200 countries. And physicians in 95 percent of teaching hospitals rely on MD Consult to get critical information that can save lives.
Technology is the key to Elsevier. Your challenge will be to excite the brightest minds in the work they do. You will be redefining how our customers use our information; and developing innovative and impactful solutions on eBooks, apps, complex point-of-care products and more. Imagine the pride that comes from launching such new products. To succeed, you will need to be both commercially minded and technology focused. And equally important is the passion and commitment to making a positive difference to the world. All these in an exciting and evolving workplace which offers all the career opportunities expected of a prestigious, global company.
A senior role within the Technology Operations and Infrastructure accountable for the overall delivery of all operations and necessary infrastructure within their assigned portfolio. The Operations Manager is responsible for the overall production of their portfolio, through close alignment to the portfolio core development teams and directing based on prioritization of that assigned portfolio support team (I.e. SA, DBA, Capacity Eng). This covers the ownership of the in-life service and guardianship of any changes introduced to the portfolio as well as full transparency of costs aligned to those offerings.
The role requires a degree of flexibility and collaborative working within Technology and across the business as well as work closely with their portfolio hosting providers (ie. RETS, Amazon and the RETS organization) to ensure the quality and reliability of end to end delivery of operational services.
Key Result Areas:
Create and Implement Technology Strategy
- Contribute at the highest level as part of the Technology Operations & Infrastructure management team in the definition of the overall infrastructure strategy for Elsevier.
- Partner with Reed Elsevier Technology Services and other hosting providers to ensure their portfolio’s roadmap/strategy can meet shared operational objectives
- Ensure close partnership with the relevant business areas across Elsevier globally to deliver a clear roadmap and capacity plans for the organisations’ production environment, including bandwidth, capacity, security and physical IT facilities.
- Stay abreast of industry advances and develop relevant strategic plans and proposals to allow Elsevier to exploit technology advances in order to drive revenue, reduce cost or reduce risk.
- Participate and outline operations and infrastructure plans in regards to merger and acquisitions
Ensure High Standards of Support for Production Systems
- Ensure that all delivered solutions in their respective area are operational, have clear documentation, adhere to agreed standards and gone through an effective handover procedure where required.
- Ensure that security of the production environment is maintained at all times.
- Work with RETS and other partners to ensure all solutions are proactively monitored and that support can be provided to the agreed hosting tier requirements, which can be up to 24 x 7 for tier 4.
- Accountable for establishing and maintaining Disaster Recovery plans for their respective portfolio.
- Establish and monitor goals and objectives for their respective portfolio.
- Ensure stakeholders are kept informed of issues, updated on progress through resolution.
- Ensure that staff assigned to support activities, whether locally or within RETS, are equipped to discharge their duties to agreed service levels and that they understand the significance and impact on business function of the solutions within their support domain.
- Work with other functions within the portfolio to ensure that critical system fixes can be developed and released quickly, efficiently and safely.
- Ensure that staff coverage provides cost efficient support.
Ensure Efficient and Effective Project Delivery
- Take ownership of all projects within their respective portfolio and ensure that they deliver agreed benefits and meet time, budget and quality standards agreed.
- Ensure governance and reporting processes defined by Elsevier Portfolio Management are followed consistently for Business Infrastructure projects, ensuring projects meet the quality standards required for our production environment, with clear operational documentation and can be transitioned smoothly from development to pre-production and then on to production.
- Accountability for all changes to the production environment in terms of their portfolio’s ability to operate them, compatibility with the existing environment and security standards.
Staff Leadership and Development
- Provide leadership and drive to ensure that their portfolio consistently meets its objectives on time, to budget, to quality standards agreed.
- Act as a key interface with the various hosting providers Reed Elsevier Technology Services to agree capacity organisation and skill set requirements.
- Manage their assigned portfolio resources to ensure that the portfolio has sufficient staff, with the right skills and experience to meet the service delivery standards agreed with the business. Work with the broader management team to secure the needed coverage.
- Establish and maintain an excellent and collegiate style working relationship with all other functions within Elsevier and RETS and ensure that this style is propagated throughout the team.
Fiscal and Process Management
- Participate in an annual budget and operational plan for the Technology Operations & Infrastructure, including full Elsevier RETS recharges, and then once agreed manage and report on their portfolio’s progress against this plan and budget through the year.
- Ensure all costs are completely transparent, both in terms of how they are built up and how they are attributed.
- Take responsibility for the quality of all services and solutions delivered through the Technology Operations & Infrastructure, whether delivered directly or through a 3rd party.
- Ensure appropriate process, governance and controls are in place to ensure full protection of the production environment, in line with internal and external audit requirements and recognised industry best practice.
- Play an active part in the continuous improvement of quality processes and standards to ensure that Elsevier Technology provides efficient, high quality and cost effective solution development that supports an iterative and agile development methodology and a dynamic business.
- Actively promote quality throughout their portfolio and ensure the quality of all deliverables.