United Stationers is a pure wholesale distributor of a broad range of business products including office, janitorial, break room and industrial supplies. We win from the middle of the supply chain by enabling the success of our suppliers, our reseller customers, our associates, and the communities we serve. By stocking a broad range of products across key market channels, and by offering sophisticated logistical capabilities and innovative value-added services, we enable our resellers to respond efficiently to the demand for business products from millions of consumers. By giving our suppliers logistical excellence and broad market reach, we enable their success. Join United Stationers, a Fortune 500 company, and you'll enjoy a comprehensive benefits package that uniquely meets the needs of you and your family.
United Stationers is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status
The Merchandising/Category Manager will be responsible for supporting assigned category / product initiatives and programs. This position will provide input into the development of category strategies and is expected to develop and implement tactics to support these strategies. This role will share the responsibility for profitably growing the assigned category and ensuring the success of team programs and initiatives with the Director Merchandising/Senior Category Manager.
• Assists in and contributes to the development and creation of the total category/product strategies, objectives and tactics. Drives the performance of product classes and items within the assigned category.
• Develops effective cross-functional relationships within the organization in order to effectively accomplish the responsibilities of the function, including but are not limited to the following teams: Marketing, Marketing Services, Sales, Customer Care, Operations, Information Technology and Finance.
• Maintains list, cost and pricing on current, new and promotional items.
• Manages and executes the pricing deviation process and decisions associated with product profitability.
• Manages the product lifecycle, to include discontinuations, excess inventory and returns within our system.
• Works effectively with the Inventory Planning functions within the assigned category in SKU optimization and rationalization.
• Collaborates with the supplier community and internal business partners to collect and maintain supplier/product information associated with our portfolio of products. *Drives the catalog process for the ORS Nasco marketing portfolio.
• Responsible for assortment planning decisions associated with marketing and services portfolio.
• Facilitates discussions with supplier partners associated with the content collection tools and processes.
• Collaborates with internal and external business partners regarding planning, allocation and management of supplier market development funds and the delivery of supplier-specific programs and promotions.
• Provides recommendations on strategic program direction based on sound ROI analysis.
• Assists the Director, Merchandising in the assortment planning process to determine the product selection that we should carry within our network.
• Conducts ongoing market research and analysis to formulate recommendations to Director Merchandising.
• Negotiates incremental allowances to support execution of Category Marketing initiatives.
• Understands and demonstrates United Stationers Core Values. *Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ability to work independently and is self-motivated and proactive in achieving individual and team objectives.
• Strong analytical and decision making skills.
• Capacity for creative thinking in negotiating or problem solving atmosphere.
• Strong organizational, written and oral communication skills.
• In depth knowledge of marketplace and industry trends.
• High level of computer proficiency in Microsoft Office; Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook - Fundamental knowledge of Microsoft Access.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Marketing or other Business discipline.
• Minimum three years experience in a business analyst or associate marketing manager role in a customer centric, marketing driven environment