K A E
CHRISTUS ST. VINCENT REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
Santa Fe, New Mexico
POSITION TITLE: Nurse Practitioner, Palliative Care
DEPARTMENT: Palliative Care
Post holder will serve as a consulting provider in the field of Palliative Care, in both inpatient and outpatient settings in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team. Under the direction of the VP of mission and spirituality, and the palliative care coordinator and in partnership with the palliative care consult team and advisory board, the post holder shares responsibility in assessing, developing, implementing and evaluating the holistic care of the patent and family. Further, the nurse practitioner will take a leadership role in developing the out-patient arm of the integrated palliative care team.
As the palliative care team provides symptom management expertise, goals of care discussion, advance directive discussion, hospice referral discussion and reaches out to seriously ill patients that may still be seeking active treatment, this position demands a high level of communication skills.
• Has thorough understanding of the hospice benefit
• Has excellent symptom management expertise
• Can operate effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team
• Participates in the development and review of appropriate clinical protocols and processes that support/facilitate referrals and consistent care.
• Participates in education of Associates, Providers and the Community
• Demonstrates program development and leadership skills
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited program for Nurse Practitioners.
CERTIFICATION/LICENSES: Current New Mexico Nurse Practitioner license. BLS certification required. ELNEC training, or equivalent, preferred.Certification in Hospice and Palliative Care required within 1 year of hire if currently not certified.
• Must support the Mission and Core Values of CHRISTUS St. Vincent.
• Ability to work collaboratively with patients, physicians, co-workers and community. Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
• Current knowledge and skills appropriate to age/type of patient population served.
• Knowledgeable and sensitive to patients’ rights in the delivery of care.
• Communicates in a clear and concise manner appropriate to the developmental age of patient.
In addition, the following skills are desirable:
• Computer skills
• Knowledge of clinical information systems
• Demonstrated ability to prepare documents
• Requires detailed knowledge of Hospice practices and care of the terminally ill.
• Requires detailed knowledge of Palliative Care in terms of theories and practices to serve as the resource or educator to other practitioners in the medical field.
EXPERIENCE: Five or more years clinical experience and two or more years of practice providing Palliative and/or Hospice clinical care
NATURE OF SUPERVISION:
Responsible to: Palliative Care Coordinator, VP of Mission and Spirituality
Blood borne pathogen: A
Limited hazards. Typical office and hospital surroundings.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Fine motor dexterity, ability to move rapidly throughout facility. Ability to operate computer equipment. Must be able to handle emergency/crisis situations, prolonged, extensive or considerable standing and walking. Works in a clean, well lighted, ventilated smoke-free environment. Subject to stressful professional relationships. Working hours are varied, with flexibility due to unexpected changes in schedule and emergencies. .
1 = Performance seldom meets job requirements
2 = Development needed. Improvement required.
3 = Consistent, reliable performance.
4 = Proficient.
5 = Excellence. Consistent, exceptional performance.
1. Participates in the provision of the highest possible standard of medical, psychological, social and spiritual care for the patients and their families.
2. Utilizes a systematic process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation, in the provision of a holistic program of care in accordance with the philosophy of hospice and palliative care.
3. Practices an evidence/research based approach to practice.
4. Contributes to the overall knowledge of the team and advises and supports other members of the staff in the delivery of individualized patient care.
5. Works within a team structure and liaises appropriately with the other professional staff involved in the care of the patient.
6. Maintains records in accordance with standard procedures.
7. Ensures effective communication with patients and their relatives/ caregivers.
8. Ensures due regard is given to the customs, values and spiritual beliefs of patients and families.
9. Ensures adherence to all organizational policies and guidelines.
10. Attends meetings as appropriate.
11. Exercises accountability in own professional standards and practice.
12. Liaises with caregivers, hospice and appropriate agencies to facilitate the smooth transfer and after care for patients.
13. Is aware of the need for confidentiality with regard to patients, their families and caregivers, and members of the hospital staff.
14. Participates in the development, review and auditing of palliative and hospice practice.
15. Supervises and teaches other Associates and volunteers, as appropriate, about palliative care issues.
16. Conducts or participates in palliative care research as appropriate.
17. Ensures a safe working environment and takes appropriate action in the event of an accident to patients, Associates, self or any person in the work area.
CUSTOMER RELATIONS: (Refer to Customer Relations Policy for definition.)
1. Exhibits behaviors and actions that create a high level of patient/ customer satisfaction, positive patient/customer relations, and respect for the patient's/customer's rights, needs, and confidentiality.
2. Demonstrates effective communication and human relations skills, which promote harmony and teamwork.
3. Presents behaviors and actions that maintain the hospital's credibility, integrity, and positive image.
4. Demonstrates behaviors and actions that support the mission, goals, and operations of the organization and which contribute to continuous service improvement.
1. Assists with special projects as assigned.
2. Accurately interprets and communicates Human Resources Policies and Procedures.
3. Exhibits flexibility, adapting readily to changes in the work environment or work schedule.
4. Maintains a positive attitude, even during periods of stress.
5. Assumes responsibility for professional growth and development.
6. Complies and adheres to all CHRISTUS St. Vincent policies.
7. Maintains positive attendance and communicates in advance any absence from work.
8. Adheres to all patient and environmental safety policies and procedures.
divided by functions/responsibilities
equals average rating
(transfer this average rating to the cover page)
This position description/evaluation was developed to enhance the communication of the job and performance expectations between the employee and management and is not intended to create a contract of employment. The specifications, essential functions and other responsibilities will be reviewed on a regular basis and are subject to modifications.