| Save this job
| Email this job
Who We Are:
At Verizon, our people are busy changing the world—tackling the toughest challenges in areas like Healthcare, Energy, Public Safety, and Education. With an outward focus on our customers and integrity at our core, we're creating technology solutions that help businesses optimize their operations, families connect from anywhere, and whole communities leave smaller, greener footprints. The result? Widespread impact on the way people live, work and play across the entire globe.
That’s why we need the best and the brightest minds to join our team. People like you— determined to push boundaries, drive real change, and help us create a smarter, better future for all.
What We Do:
From secure cloud computing, to Machine-to-Machine communication, to robust omnichannel experiences, we’re spearheading tomorrow’s innovations, today. Our solutions are empowering individuals, businesses, and communities everywhere to unlock their potential and realize the power of technology. That means connecting children to hands-on learning experiences, enabling global businesses to build mobile workforces, and helping municipalities run greener and more efficiently. Simply put: we’re creating a better future. And you can be a part of it.
With our world of career-defining opportunities, you're sure to find the right fit for your expertise and experience. Visit jobsatvzw.com/vzwjobs
to learn more and apply today.
Careers For Everything You Are
Verizon is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V
Solaris UNIX Network Engineer
|Job Reference Number
- Assist with Design and engineering of reliable, high performance and manageable data complexes for existing services/platforms as well as new service offerings
- Perform hands-on system engineering and systems administration work, which will in many cases require night maintenance window work
- Ability to quickly respond to critical service impacting issues with intuitive out-of-the-box ideas and solutions
- Prioritize multiple high-visibility projects and drive decisions and resolutions for unique problems that may not have existing/complete solutions
- Work with internal groups to develop and complete design, sizing, and call flow models to ensure platforms being sized and installed will meet performance and capacity requirements
- Responsible for assisting in the purchasing and coordinating the installation and implementation of hardware equipment necessary for capacity growth and new functionality of data platforms - mainly the AAA complex
- Interact with cross functional teams such as National Network Operations (NNO) groups, Planning, Maintenance Engineering, Transport, Provisioning, Data Mediation, Revenue assurance and other organizations to design and deploy components for best efficiency and reliability. Submit NSRs, PSRs and all other requests necessary to bring the platform on the network
- Assist and co-ordinate performance benchmarking on the platforms as well as identify hardware best suited for the platform while bearing in mind the space, power and cooling requirements/constraints and work with vendors to fully understand needs of the application to optimize system and storage configuration to achieve highly and reliable capacity ratings
- Work with capacity SME’s and planning organizations to develop and implement strategies and tactical plans for ensuring sufficient network capacity of infrastructure platforms
- Effectively manage vendors and work with them to obtain quotes, negotiate pricing, and ensure their products and services meet Verizon Wireless’ requirements and standards. Hold vendors accountable if their products and/or services fail to meet Verizon Wireless expectations and standards. Also work with vendors to integrate systems into production
- Request authorization for funds, create Purchase Orders (PO’s), and manage procurement activities using PeopleSoft Purchasing system. Ensure the value of the products and services received are in line with vendor pricing, PO’s are in compliance with company procurement policies, and that invoices are paid on time
- Assist in providing subject matter expertise. Help train new team members. Provide presentations to other groups as required
- Associate's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent work experience. Bachelor's preferred.
- Experience with systems engineering and design including clustering and server farms in a highly-available & complex environment
- Experience with performance measurement and capacity planning
- Experience developing support tools on Solaris using UNIX shell scripts and utilities (Perl a definite plus)
- Experience supporting commercial, 24x7 and on call Internet/Customer-facing systems
- Experience with vendor management
- Knowledge of SAN and other storage systems including layout and configuration
- Working knowledge of AAA platform is highly desirable
- Understanding of relational database technologies and SQL (preferably Oracle)
- Complete understanding of IP network services, global server load balancing, routing, and protocols
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer m/f/d/v.
Report this job
Find out what's going on with Verizon!
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.