Food Supervisor Req ID:3956 :: San Francisco, CA
Thank you for your interest in a career with gategroup, parent company to Gate Gourmet and 10 other brands.
If you have the drive to take ownership of initiatives, apply a results-oriented approach to your work, and love the idea of working for a global company that offers self starters the potential to develop a promising career path, you're at the right place!
Our employees have a real passion to perform, with access to opportunities in challenging roles across the United States, Europe, Asia & the Pacific and Latin America. Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet.
See our video here
View all jobs at Gate Gourmet.
Learn more about Gate Gourmet.
Food Supervisor / Operations Supervisor
Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world’s largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
We are currently looking for a Operations Supervisor to join our team based in San Francisco CA. This position will report to the Operations Manager. The Operations Supervisor is responsible for supervising employees to ensure security, safety, food specs, quality assurance of products, sanitation, HACCP and FDA regulations are followed. The Operations Food Supervisor is also responsible for labor and food cost controls as per company specifications. Experience in a distribution, warehouse, or transportation environment a plus. Food industry experience a plus. Position is located by the airport.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensures quality production standards are maintained for all accounts
• Maintains Company policies and procedures as well as specification books for airline customers and serve as a knowledgeable resource relative to those policies.
• Controls food cost and other controllable costs
• Works with management staff to improve performance of the unit
• Prepares management reports (ex. attendance, HAACCP and labor) reports as required.
• Responsible for safety, quality and compliance to customer specifications and regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures.
• Ensures specifications, airline diagrams, and other standards are accurate according to the airline specifications.
• Ensures that all products are coded according to Gate Gourmet procedures.
• Conducts inventory of Gate Gourmet products and customer materials to ensure proper usage and minimization of waste.
• Completes required requisitions for the Storeroom to ensure adequate supply is maintained.
• Responsible for maintaining daily temperature logs and other logs and reports as required.
• Works with maintenance staff to ensure preventive maintenance of machinery according to schedules, reports maintenance and repair issues in timely manner.
• Trains and monitors employees on proper work procedures to ensure maximum productivity with minimum labor and food costs
• Responsible for performance evaluation, coaching, counseling and preparing corrective action for employees and liaises appropriately with HR and other support functions.
• Manages work flow balancing - - the division of responsibilities amongst employees on each shift
• Manages daily manpower planning including assignment of responsibilities and workstations.
• Determines when and whether to call employees in to cover staffing needs (ex. Sick calls, vacation relief, medical leaves, volume changes, etc.)
• In conjunction with department leaders determines number of employees needed by shift
• Responsible for employee retention and monitors employee turnover.
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Associates degree or degree from a 4 year university or college preferred.
• Minimum 2 years supervisory experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production, and/or restaurant/catering environment or equivalent experience in the related field is preferred
• Minimum 3 years cooking or food preparation experience required.
• Current or previous labor relations experience a plus, but not required.
• Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a staff of 30+ hourly employees
• Candidate must be comfortable with all levels of employees and have the ability to drive positive program change
• Ability to train others
• Must have the ability to give negative and positive feedback to employees on a daily basis
• Excellent time management skills required. Ability to handle multiple tasks without losing focus on priorities
• Strong organizational, analytical, communication and leadership skills required
• Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance
• Basic computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office products preferred
• Expresses oneself clearly and effectively when speaking and writing to individuals and groups; listening attentively and insuring communication is understood by all parties involved
• Bi-lingual in English and Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Vietnamese, Hindi or Polish a plus
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
• Ability to obtain ServSafe Certification required
• ServSafe Certified preferred,
• Regularly, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours
• In a normal production kitchen facility there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise
• Must be able to lift, push, pull and move product, equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of twenty-five (25) pounds
• A rotating schedule of over 55 hours per week is typical
Demonstrated Competencies to be Successful in the Position
• Thinking - Information search and analysis, problem resolution skills
• Engaging - understanding others, team leadership, developing people
• Inspiring - influencing and building relationships, motivating and inspiring, communicating effectively
• Achieving - delivering business results under pressure, championing performance improvement, customer focus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Candidates will be required to go through pre-employment drug screen, criminal check and/or airport fingerprinting.
Gate Gourmet is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Keywords Production Supervisor, Production Manager, Operations Supervisor, Warehouse Supervisor, Manager, Food and Beverage, Hospitality, Restaurant, Hotel, DC Supervisor, Catering, Manufacturing
For best results, apply using Chrome or Firefox as your Internet browser.
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.