Rockwell Automation (NYSE: ROK) is a leading global provider of automation, power, control and information solutions that help manufacturers achieve a competitive advantage in their businesses. With a focus on always putting customers first, anywhere in the world, the company helps manufacturers use automation and intelligent motor control and conversion technology as a means to get their products and services to market faster, reduce their total cost of ownership, better utilize power and plant-floor assets, and minimize the risks in their manufacturing environments.
Capabilities extend through partnerships with a network of 5,600 reliable, local companies in distribution, software and product referencing. Leading brands and strategic partnerships uniquely qualify Rockwell Automation to deliver industry solutions to 80 countries around the world.
Hardware Development Engineer
The Kinetix Performance Engineering Hardware Development Engineer (Electrical) is responsible for leading design efforts for the development, enhancement, maintenance and cost reduction of Rockwell Automation Kinetix AC Servo Drives.
The Hardware Development Engineer works closely with other cross-functional team members within Rockwell Automation and reports to the Performance Engineering Manager.
EOE, M/F/Disabled, Vet
Utilize product return data to identify, design, validate and implement quality enhancements for AC Servo Drives.
Identify and implement cost saving design opportunities for AC Servo Drives.
Analyze electrical, electro-mechanical circuit or system anomalies, identify root cause and implement subsequent design solutions.
Coordinate all aspects of prototype evaluation testing and product qualification testing.
Provide electrical engineering support to ensure that Rockwell Automation’s AC Servo Drives achieve their intended product lifecycle by managing component obsolescence and agency certification updates.
Provide electrical engineering support to Rockwell Automation’s global manufacturing facilities for AC Servo Drives. Implement product changes to drive manufacturing efficiency and lower cost manufacturing.
Coordinate engineering changes across global locations that include the phase in and phase out of components.
• BSEE with a minimum of 2 years of experience in hardware design in a New Product Development or Continuation/Sustaining Engineering environment.
• Knowledge of electrical and electro-mechanical circuits and systems in all three disciplines of analog, digital, and power.
• Ability to manage PCB layouts and perform design verification including analysis of design margin.
• Must be capable of using computer simulation before prototyping i.e. PSPICE, Matlab/Simulink, Simplorer, Hyperlinks, etc.
• Must have a solid understanding of EMC guidelines, standards and design mitigation techniques.
• Experienced with agency approval requirements and designing for codes such as UL, CE, IEC, etc.
• Must work well in a team environment and interface with other functional groups such as Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, Marketing, Purchasing and outside suppliers.
• Demonstrated organizational, communication, and documentation skills in order to clearly convey status updates, technical issues, design alternatives, etc.
• Must be able to create and manage a project activity list that includes estimated activity duration and required resources.
• Demonstrated hardware design experience in digital AC Servo Drive design targeting highly dynamic positioning applications.
• Design expertise in developing power electronic circuits and components such as IGBTs, MOSFETs, diodes, capacitors and high frequency magnetic components.
• Understanding of gate drive design, thermal management, voltage and current sensing techniques and protection circuitry.
• MSEE or coursework towards a master’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
• Familiar with Allen-Bradley AC Servo Drives and AC Servo Motors.
• Familiarity with Allen-Bradley ControlLogix/CompactLogix PLC architecture and connected components.
• Experience with safety certification compliant with IEC-61508.
• Experience with incremental and absolute encoders.
• Experience with embedded firmware (C/C++) at a peripheral/device driver level.
• Knowledge of advanced embedded system peripherals (ie. LCD, DDR, FPGA, SPI, UART, PWM, A/D, Ethernet, CAN).
• Processor Experience: PowerPC, TMS320, PIC.
• Proficiency with Mentor for schematic entry.
• Familiar with Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) and Six Sigma tools and techniques.
Apply Now >>
Report this job