| Save this job
| Email this job
Who We Are:
At Verizon, our people are busy changing the world—tackling the toughest challenges in areas like Healthcare, Energy, Public Safety, and Education. With an outward focus on our customers and integrity at our core, we're creating technology solutions that help businesses optimize their operations, families connect from anywhere, and whole communities leave smaller, greener footprints. The result? Widespread impact on the way people live, work and play across the entire globe.
That’s why we need the best and the brightest minds to join our team. People like you— determined to push boundaries, drive real change, and help us create a smarter, better future for all.
What We Do:
From secure cloud computing, to Machine-to-Machine communication, to robust omnichannel experiences, we’re spearheading tomorrow’s innovations, today. Our solutions are empowering individuals, businesses, and communities everywhere to unlock their potential and realize the power of technology. That means connecting children to hands-on learning experiences, enabling global businesses to build mobile workforces, and helping municipalities run greener and more efficiently. Simply put: we’re creating a better future. And you can be a part of it.
With our world of career-defining opportunities, you're sure to find the right fit for your expertise and experience. Visit jobsatvzw.com/vzwjobs
to learn more and apply today.
Careers For Everything You Are
Verizon is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V
Interconnect Specialist Engineer
|Job Reference Number
- The Engr III Spec-Interconnect is responsible for providing complete technical oversight and project management for network expansion projects. These projects focus on the expansion of the CWDM/DWDM dark fiber network. As Well as Microwave design where fiber is not available The candidate will be responsible for development and issuance of RFP documents to dark fiber providers, managing the proposal response cycle, comparison and selection of bids, working with Area planning organizations to develop business cases for route expansions, and working with the contracts group in developing and executing the dark fiber IRU contracts.
- Tasked with providing technical support and project management for the design, acquisition, and implementation for all equipment supporting Network infrastructure projects including, but not limited to DWDM Optical transport systems deployed throughout the VZW Network or Microwave point-to point or point to multi-point installations.
- Tasked with the development of an engineering database for documentation of all fiber assets; plant, FDP panels, space and power collocation leases and IRU contract management.
- Microwave design/review. Regulatory filings as well as implementation management.
- Complete Vendor Management responsibility including selection, contract negotiation, RFP and ongoing relationships.
- Financial responsibility for multi-million dollar projects – establishing business cases, developing and managing budgets, procurement and bill payments.
- Decision making authority with respect to all of the above duties. It also interfaces constantly with higher levels of the management team across various organizations as part of the process of managing all facets of large, complex infrastructure deployments.
- The position provides leadership and guidance to engineers within and outside of their direct organization, related to technology expertise, to other network groups and vendors. Position is a mentor for other less senior individuals within and outside of their organization
- The position regularly works with Network planning on strategic initiatives, to develop future technology solutions, and features and growth jobs on existing products that support our infrastructure.
- The position regularly works with other group’s forecasts to ensure equipment growth projects meet expectant demands in support of the company’s objectives.
- Vendor Management responsibility including engineering/design, managing budgets, procurement, and complete project management ensuring objectives are met in accordance with stated timelines.
- Knowledge and proficiency in one or more of the following platforms and/or technologies:
- DWDM Optical Transport systems including: Ciena, Fujitsu, Alcatel-Lucent
- Voice switch infrastructure including: Lucent 5E, Ericsson VOIP Packet Tandems, Lucent Soft Switch
- Digital Communications including: Fiber, Ethernet
- Wireless data service including: EVDO, CDMA, CSD, STP,
- Power experience including: Galaxy, Lorain, AC/UPS, DC distribution systems, troubleshooting
- Microwave experience including: Aviat IRU6000 or Alcatel MPR9500
- Voice cells infrastructure including: Lucent, Ericsson, CDMA, DATA
Test equipment including: JDSU T-Berd, spectrum analyzers, path analyzers
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience required.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years of experience in the cellular/telecommunications industry.
- In depth knowledge and advanced proficiency in CWDM/DWDM Optical Transport systems including: Ciena, Fujitsu, Alcatel-Lucent
- Familiarity with Dark Fiber vendors, their organizational processes and standards, as well as their network portfolio maps is preferred.
- Knowledge of Pathloss 5 microwave design software
- Set up and programming of Aviat and/or
- Proficient in office computer applications: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project.
- Executive level troubleshooting, problem solving, project management, and interpersonal skills
- Decision making skills (by making appropriate use of all available information and data; anticipating the future and preparing accordingly; recognizing the impact of decisions upon the rest of the organization; receiving broad guidance; being accountable for broad project results; and being responsible for the leadership of broad programs in support of organizational or area strategies)
- Superior organizational and planning skills (setting and communicating priorities; anticipating workload impact on resources of both self and team; delegating where appropriate; consistently following up on outstanding items; and providing focus in meetings and discussions).
- Ability to learn new technology quickly and apply working knowledge of wireless engineering on new projects.
- Must be self-motivated, show initiative, and be able to work independently.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills needed.
- Need to be highly productive and pay close attention to detail.
Familiarity with engineering and engineering economic principles preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Report this job
- Verizon is a Federal Contractor
- Verizon requests veteran priority referrals
- Verizon is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer M/F/Disability/Vet.
Find out what's going on with Verizon!
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.