| Save this job
| Email this job
Who We Are:
At Verizon, our people are busy changing the world—tackling the toughest challenges in areas like Healthcare, Energy, Public Safety, and Education. With an outward focus on our customers and integrity at our core, we're creating technology solutions that help businesses optimize their operations, families connect from anywhere, and whole communities leave smaller, greener footprints. The result? Widespread impact on the way people live, work and play across the entire globe.
That’s why we need the best and the brightest minds to join our team. People like you— determined to push boundaries, drive real change, and help us create a smarter, better future for all.
What We Do:
From secure cloud computing, to Machine-to-Machine communication, to robust omnichannel experiences, we’re spearheading tomorrow’s innovations, today. Our solutions are empowering individuals, businesses, and communities everywhere to unlock their potential and realize the power of technology. That means connecting children to hands-on learning experiences, enabling global businesses to build mobile workforces, and helping municipalities run greener and more efficiently. Simply put: we’re creating a better future. And you can be a part of it.
With our world of career-defining opportunities, you're sure to find the right fit for your expertise and experience. Visit jobsatvzw.com/vzwjobs
to learn more and apply today.
Careers For Everything You Are
Verizon is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V
Engineer III - Data Planning
|Job Reference Number
Strategy - Planning
The Midwest Area Network Data Engineer will play a lead role in the planning and design of the strategic core network initiatives within the Midwest Area. The selected candidate will oversee all engineering aspects of new technology implementation such as VoLTE, CMDS, Flash, VISP, WiFi, Femto, QoS, etc. and will also be assigned various data core and access projects as required.
This position will require detailed capacity and forecast analysis for assigned components which will be used to determine capital required to maintain network reliability and steady customer growth.
The data engineer will also develop reports and presentations for the MWA Leadership Team and provide frequent updates on key initiatives. The Midwest Area data engineer will assist with complex troubleshooting, system monitoring, and the development of detailed network design plans. The individual will work with vendors and suppliers to create detailed method of procedures and ensure equipment design and integration meets VZW standards allowing the regional team to meet the capacity and growth requirements.
This engineer will partner with HQ, NNO, MTCE, PDI and the Area Planning peers to establish detailed standards around the network architecture and IP/Routing configurations to address changes associated with QoS, new services/applications, new platforms, and/or or to improve the overall reliability and performance of the network. The individual will also oversee various MWA FOA’s and provide support for initiatives to completion.
The selected candidate will also manage the capital budget, including purchasing, reception of equipment, capital in process impacts and in-service timelines. This will require regular commit/spend status update discussions with their regional counterparts and direct management.
**POSITION CAN WORK IN ANY PRIMARY NETWORK ENGINEERING OFFICE IN THE MIDWEST AREA.
- BS in Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent technical degree required. CCNA/CCNP Certification preferred
- Significant experience with data network protocols, architecture, and associated data network equipment (TCP/IP, MPLS, RIP, OSPF, BGP, LAN/WAN, routers, gateways, LAN switches, firewalls, etc.)
- Robust background with wireless intelligent network components AAA, CSCF, ePDG, HSS, HA/EHA/MPN/PGW/XGW, MME, SGW, MRFP, SBC, SR S-HLR, STP, SCP, VM and their associated functions within the network.
- Complete understanding of wireless voice platforms, IP inter-networking (RIP, OSPF, BGP, and L2TP), routing/layer 3 security designs and inter-network WAN protocols (ATM, Frame Relay, SMDS, PPP, and MPLS.)
- Extensive knowledge of Access & Distribution MSC planning including CoIN architecture, CDMA switching, facilities, and inter-connect practices.
- Troubleshooting experience with network analysis tools such as eHealth & IrisView.
- Ability to be self-motivated and demonstrate teamwork through strong technical, analytical, and negotiation skills.
- Proven experience in leading the execution of large scale data element implementation.
- Strong understanding of network security design and practices.
- Knowledge of equipment integration practices within a telecommunications environment.
- Must be confident in challenging HQ and regional teams on planning/budget management items.
- Must have ability to analyze large volumes of data.
- Minimum of 4-6 years’ experience in wireless operations/engineering environment.
- Extensive knowledge of all Microsoft Office programs and refined communication skills a must.
- Overnight travel required with valid driver’s license
Equal Employment Opportunity
Report this job
- Verizon is a Federal Contractor
- Verizon requests veteran priority referrals
- Verizon is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer M/F/Disability/Vet.
Find out what's going on with Verizon!
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.