Hygienist - Registered Dental Hygienist-Roseville, CA
Registered dental hygienists are assigned duties and responsibilities which involve licensed professional work in providing dental hygiene services. A registered dental hygienist implements appropriate standard of care therapy, assists a dentist in providing hygiene, periodontal or dental care and treatment, provides dental hygiene assessments, treatment planning with a dentist, and conducts oral and overall health care education and instruction to patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer local anesthesia (Under Direct Supervision of dentist present in facility – hygienist must have evidence of satisfactory completion of a board-approved course to administer).
- Administer nitrous analgesia (Under Direct Supervision of dentist present in facility – hygienist must have evidence of satisfactory completion of a board-approved course to administer).
- Assess patients’ teeth, bone, and periodontal tissues indicating the presence of any abnormalities or suspected diseases or conditions.
- Co-diagnose with the dentist to develop appropriate periodontal treatment plans.
- Bring to the immediate attention of the dentist any suspected lesion in the mouth or on the teeth.
- Thoroughly remove soft and hard deposits and extrinsic stain from teeth, using hand instruments, ultrasonic cavitron inserts and prophy handpieces.
- Instruct patients how to practice good oral hygiene; make recommendations as to appropriate products or devices for patients’ home care; and provide other health care education, as necessary.
- Perform prophylaxis in the absence of periodontal disease or gingivitis.
- Perform full mouth debridement, either as a first stage gingivitis therapy or to remove interfering calculus to further enable a more accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Perform root planning as a periodontal therapy.
- Use lasers to perform soft tissue curettage or periodontal therapy.(Under Direct Supervision of dentist present in facility)
- Placement and removal of periodontal packs.
- Place locally-administered antibiotics as supportive periodontal therapy.
- Implement irrigation and desensitizing procedures or products as adjunctive to periodontal therapy.
- Expose, develop and mount dental x-rays (intraoral and extraoral).
- Apply cavity-preventive agents, such as fluorides.
- Bonding for pit and fissure sealants.
- Removal of temporary and permanent cement.
- Make and cement temporary crowns.
- Place and remove temporary sedative fillings.
- Remove sutures.
- Make recommendations as to patients’ recare interval and follow-up needs.
- All general orthodontic wires placement and removal procedures, including bands.
- Curing orthodontic brackets.
- Bite registrations.
- Taking impressions and constructing bleaching trays for take-home whitening.
- Application of bleaching agents and activation with non-laser light. (LumaLite permitted)
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned and allowed under applicable state laws and regulations.
- Dental hygienists must be licensed and in good standing with the State of California.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
- Dental hygienists must be willing to partner with the dentist, work well as part of the total dental team and should have good eye sight and manual dexterity, because they use dental instruments within a patient’s mouth, with little room for error.
When it comes to comprehensive dental care, you're in the right place. Since 1992, patients have trusted the Coast Dental family of dentists to provide quality care in a friendly, caring environment. Their trust has made Coast Dental one of the most respected dental providers in the U.S
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
See what other doctors are saying
Company: Coast Dental Services, Inc
Job Type: Health Care
Employee Type: Full-Time
Industry: Healthcare - Health Services
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Required Experience: Not Specified
Location: Roseville, CA