Compliance Engineer V
This position is for a Regulatory Compliance engineering expert supporting unlicensed radio conformance testing and certification for FCC, Europe and other international regions as it relates to Ultra Wideband, Real Time Location systems, and WiFi. The Regulatory Compliance Engineer will be responsible for ensuring Zebra Technologies Corporation wireless products comply with regulatory laws and requirements pertaining to various government or industry regulatory bodies and will advise Zebra business units (engineering, product marketing, and hardware and software test groups) in current FCC, European and global radio compliance requirements. This expert will call on extensive prior relationships with government regulators, 3rd party approval agencies and test labs to proactively advise business units of conformance rule changes affecting Zebra products.
- Responsible for monitoring, interpreting and implementing worldwide laws and directives with regards to regulatory compliance of wireless products - Primarily Radio Standards, EMC, and Safety.
- Interface with various suppliers, providers or vendors along with industry and manufacturing partners to ensure product regulatory compliance.
- Provide regulatory guidance to departments or development project teams regarding design, development, evaluation, or marketing of products, to ensure compliance of the product design.
- Produce and maintain required test data (internal and external) to show conformance to legal and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain legal and regulatory reports confirming compliance.
- Direct the preparation and submission of regulatory agency applications, reports, or correspondence.
- Review all regulatory agency submission materials to ensure timeliness, accuracy, comprehensiveness, or compliance with regulatory standards.
- Communicate regulatory information to multiple departments and ensure that information is interpreted correctly.
- Manage activities such as audits and regulatory agency inspections.
- Develop regulatory strategies and implementation plans for the preparation and submission of new products.
- Provide responses to regulatory agencies regarding product information or issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant regulations, including proposed and final rules.
- Serve as subject-area expert for the rest of the team.
- BSEE with 5+ years of experience in a principal role of worldwide radio certifications with an emphasis on unlicensed radio certification.
- Extensive expertise in FCC, CE and other worldwide regulations and certification schemes, especially relating to wireless products.
- Extensive experience with regulatory compliance process involving regulatory bodies/standards such as UL, CSA, CB-Scheme, ETSI, CE and FCC.
- Experience with RF performance measurement and radio attributes.
- Experience with ESD, EMC and EMI testing (emissions and immunity) preferably on the design level. Ability to review designs and offer suggestions for improvements.
- Experience with generating, reviewing and executing regulatory compliance test plans preferred.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team of engineers, technicians and designers.
- Ability to react quickly and adapt to changes in priorities, circumstances, and direction.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, including proficiency in written and verbal communications, and strong listening skills.
- Ability to exercise judgment, perform assigned tasks, and meet schedules with minimal supervision.
- Experience with worldwide certification submission process.
- Experience with procedures related to unlicensed technologies, modular approvals, and RF exposure.
- Experience in documenting product requirements extracted from industry safety and standards
- Experience in risk management and performing risk assessments
- Experience interacting with customers, regulatory agencies, test labs, etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to multitask in a high energy environment
- Familiarity with requirements RoHS, WEEE, other environmental regulations is a plus.
A global leader respected for innovation and reliability, Zebra provides enabling technologies that allow customers to take smarter actions.
Zebra's extensive portfolio of barcode, receipt, kiosk and RFID printers and supplies, as well as real-time location solutions give a digital voice to assets, people and transactions that provides greater visibility into mission-critical information.