The MSL will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key Rare Disease experts and building a well-informed advocacy base for Genzyme's Rare Disease franchise, including compounds in the development program. The MSL will act as a conduit for providing accurate and updated clinical, scientific and medical information to Rare Disease Experts, health care professionals, treatments decision makers and other members of the scientific, provider and payer community (private insurance, payers, medical groups, government agencies, and health systems with drug formularies), in compliance with all relevant company policies.
This territory is based in the South: Texas, Louisana, Mississippi, Alabama
- Maintains business and clinical knowledge of the Rare Disease treatment landscape including current treatment strategies, current and pending competitors, and new therapeutic developments.
- Increases Genzyme's visibility among leaders in the therapeutic field of Rare Diseases including Genetics, Cardiovascular, and Endocrinology. Identifies, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key experts, investigators and institutions strategic to product development.
- Participates in medical education for healthcare professionals through presentations at office visits, investigator meetings, advisory boards, medical meetings, and other appropriate venues to enhance product and disease state knowledge.
- Collaborates with clinical team and CRA's to coordinate and optimize educational and research support for sites/investigators participating in Genzyme's clinical trials.
- Responds to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator sponsored studies (ISS), and supports ISS submissions through appropriate internal processes.
- Responds to unsolicited request for medical information associated with supported products and disease state areas.
- Provides effective clinical presentations to internal and external audiences and tailors presentations to meet specific needs of the audience (appropriate response to unsolicited requests).
- Identifies and communicates key clinical and research issues and insights from industry leaders to appropriate departments to help shape company research, development, and strategies for investigational and commercialized products.
• Facilitates the identification of medical community educational needs around disease state management, including awareness and understanding of appropriate/inappropriate use of company products.
• Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders in support of needs of Key Opinion leaders (KOLs).
- Maintains clinical expertise through comprehensive education including attendance at relevant symposia, scientific workshops, and review of key journals. Participation in required internal training, presentations and journal clubs.
- Maintains appropriate communication with Medical, Regulatory, and Legal personnel within the company to ensure appropriate timelines and procedures are met.
- Adheres to regulatory and compliance guidelines and company policies in all aspects of scientific dissemination of information to include responses to unsolicited requests for medical information.
- Enhances clinical/scientific knowledge of customers and colleagues through education and appropriate scientific exchange.
- Works collaboratively with relevant internal stakeholders to identify local/regional educational gaps/needs and apply appropriate field medical support that is aligned with medical strategy.
- Provides field updates regarding topics of interest.
- Addresses administrative and reporting needs on a timely basis or as requested by management.
- Provides clinical presentations to Payer groups as requested.
• Travel 60% or greater, including domestic and international travel as needed.
Minimum requirements include:
Master's degree in a life science subject and 3 or more years related pharma/biotech experience or 5 years in a Rare Disease clinical environment.
Bachelor's degree and 5 or more years related pharma/biotech experience or 5 years in an MS clinical environment.
PharmD, MD, PhD, or Master level Genetic Counselor’s degree or other doctoral-level degree preferred and 2 years related pharma/biotech experience.
Consideration will be given to candidates with advanced health care degrees and relevant industry/clinical experience.
Knowledge and experience in field medical Rare Diseases (Lysosomal Storage Diseases, Cardiovascular, Nephrology, etc.) preferred.
Knowledge and experience in disease area preferred.
Preferred previous pharmaceutical industry experience.
Clear understanding of regional medical practice and clinical decision making regards to patient care.
Ability to identify the unmet medical, educational, and research needs within the regional medical community.
Interpretation of key scientific data and ability to translate this information to meet educational and research needs.
Demonstrated ability to address educational and research needs through delivery of cutting edge scientific/evidenced based data.
Understanding of healthcare systems affecting patient care.
Understanding of the design and execution of research studies.
Exemplary communication and presentation skills.
Ability to think strategically.
Understanding and ability to implement field medical tactics/activities which include, but not limited to: Disease state, current therapies, outcomes, and basic health economic parameters.
Understanding of highly regulated pharmaceuticals environment.
Ability to initiate and maintain relationships with medical community.