PRIMARY OBJECTIVES OF POSITION:
To oversee, monitor and manage the operations of the Company’s retail systems, both hardware and software, and oversee retail help desk operations to ensure their efficient operations so they effectively respond to the needs of the Company.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Manages day-to-day retail system operations. Ensures store POS systems are operational and in good working order at all times.
2. Manages relationships with third party point of sale vendors. Creates business requirements documentation, and effectively communicates Northern Tool + Equipment’s needs and expectations to all vendor project managers.
3. Works with network department to comply with company standards with regards to all computer equipment at the retail level.
4. Ensures that the Point of Sale Software imaging process meets the expectations and requirements of the applications being implemented.
5. Manages vendor relationships, negotiates retail point of sale equipment costs with selected vendors, manages ordering of equipment and ensures on time delivery of hardware to ensure minimal downtime at the retail store level. Coordinates between vendors and helpdesk to ensure appropriate systems are implemented.
6. Manages projects relating to retail operations and point of sale. This includes AS400 projects and point of sale software release management.
7. Works with corporate departments in developing functional requirements for system requests and initiatives involving retail. Assists corporate departments in gathering, developing and documenting system requirements.
8. Trouble shoots or develops solutions for areas and/or specific functions of the department as requested by supervisor to ensure the satisfactory progress/achievement of established goals and objectives.
9. Participates in the development, maintenance and testing of the Company’s disaster recovery plan as it relates to retail information technology.
10. Manages programming staff to effectively meet programming/analysis needs for the business community to help support company directives.
11. Works with the Vice President of Information Technology on budget planning for retail information technology requirements.
12. Sets up new retail store point of sale.
13. Assumes responsibilities in the retail on-call rotation to ensure support during store operating hours.
14. Supervises and manages support personnel as it relates to all projects or related work, establishes performance requirements, clarifies responsibilities of those supervised, conducts performance appraisals and plans for individual employee improvement.
15. Keeps supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems, and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates/communicates plans and activities with others, to ensure a coordinated work effort and team approach.
16. Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
When I graduated from the University of Minnesota-Duluth, I remember being filled with many hopes and dreams. Of course I wanted to be successful, but more importantly, I wanted to feel fulfilled and proud of each of my future endeavors.
In the fall of 1980, I took a risk and realized one of my dreams when I started Northern Tool + Equipment as a part-time mail-order business. Although initially the company was small, I strongly believed in its potential and knew that with perseverance, it would ultimately be successful.
Since that time, Northerns success and growth have been nothing less than remarkable. Year after year, sales from our catalog, Internet and retail stores continue to skyrocket. With an eye to the future, we steadily explore new and exciting territories, planning aggressive expansion into a multitude of new business ventures.
Today, there are more challenging and diverse opportunities available to Northern employees than ever before. Recruiting and developing the best talent in the industry creates a strong team, and we recognize the important role each employee plays in contributing to the success of our company. Ultimately, it is through the personal growth and daily achievements of our employees that the Northern vision will come to life and the company will continue to flourish.
With that in mind, we encourage our over 2000 employees to take risks and think big as they work to accomplish both individual and team goals, and we reward them when they do. After all, I may never have fulfilled my dreams if I hadn't taken a risk in starting Northern more than 30 years ago.
The future holds a wealth of exciting and rewarding possibilities and we invite you to join us in making the most of them. Come grow with us!