LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
This is a Civil Service position that offers GREAT benefits, is part of the Minnesota State Retirement System and offers many internal growth opportunities.
No one, ever, anywhere in the world, has taken on a census/demographic project this large before. You will be joining THE world leader in census and demographic data dissemination. Cutting edge technologies, comprehensive benefits and the ability to create a difference in the world makes this an incredible position. The team functions with an entrepreneurial spirit, is highly successful and embraces a 40 hour work week.
This position is light on the hardware side, you won’t be working with the Linux Server (Separate team supports hardware) but instead will run the software environment. Great people skills / communication skills will be of top importance since you will have contact with other IT and non-IT divisions across the enterprise.
• 4+ years of professional experience in system administration with a related bachelor's degree, or six years of professional experience in system administration with a non-related bachelor's degree.
• Experience must include a minimum of two years of experience administering Linux server operating system variants, including installation and configuration of software packages and application stacks, managing backup and restore, securing systems and networks, and automation of the environment.
• Advanced proficiency with Perl and/or shell scripting is required.
• Familiarity with administration of relational databases is necessary.
• Experience administering virtualization or cloud environments; Experience configuring environments for scalability/redundancy/failover; Experience utilizing configuration management tools, such as Chef or Puppet; Familiarity with big data technologies, such as Hadoop and other high performance computing tools; Programming with Ruby, Python, Java or similar.
• Experience on the Ubuntu Linux platform; Familiarity with source code repository systems; Experience administering Mac OS X and Windows environments; Prior experience supporting software development teams and environments.
• Client is a large disseminator of census and demographic data to the world's academic research community.
• Employees support this mission by using leading open source tools such as Ubuntu Linux, Apache httpd, MySQL and Ruby on Rails to solve big data challenges and build reliable, scalable web-based data dissemination systems.
You will serve as the core system administrator and You will be a member of the IT Operations Team, which is responsible for research infrastructure needs, along with some additional software development responsibilities to assist in the implementation and deployment of multiple large-scale social science data dissemination projects.
Software development system support includes: programming language environments (Ruby, JRuby, Perl, Python); continuous integration systems (Jenkins, TeamCity); code repositories (Subversion, Git, Github); and testing/staging webapps. Data dissemination system support includes: web-database stacks (Apache, Passenger, Tomcat, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PostGIS); lots of "glue code" for configuration and deployment automation using tools such as Chef, vagrant, rake, Capistrano, and bash; and development of custom services using in-house systems as well as APIs to third-party tools, such as Drupal and Shibboleth.
You will share responsibility for configuration, maintenance and documentation of our primary application platforms, including our web application software stack. You also will share responsibility with our infrastructure group for maintenance and implementation of data backup, data archiving, and disaster recovery plans, as well as ensuring the security of our server IT infrastructure. Finally, you will have general responsibility for other server and software infrastructure needs as they arise.
About Kelly Services®
Kelly Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: KELYA, KELYB) is a leader in providing workforce solutions.
Kelly® offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class
staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis.
Serving clients around the globe, Kelly provided employment to more than 540,000 employees in 2013.
Revenue in 2013 was $5.4 billion.
[Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Download WorkWire™, a free career and employment resource iPad® app by Kelly Services.]
iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Our IT specialty places professionals across a comprehensive scope of services, including application development and integration, data warehousing and business intelligence, software quality assurance and testing, enterprise maintenance and support, data storage, infrastructure support, disaster recovery and business continuity, and network engineering.
Want more information? Visit kellyservices.com/it
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.