| Save this job
| Email this job
Who We Are:
At Verizon, our people are busy changing the world—tackling the toughest challenges in areas like Healthcare, Energy, Public Safety, and Education. With an outward focus on our customers and integrity at our core, we're creating technology solutions that help businesses optimize their operations, families connect from anywhere, and whole communities leave smaller, greener footprints. The result? Widespread impact on the way people live, work and play across the entire globe.
That’s why we need the best and the brightest minds to join our team. People like you— determined to push boundaries, drive real change, and help us create a smarter, better future for all.
What We Do:
From secure cloud computing, to Machine-to-Machine communication, to robust omnichannel experiences, we’re spearheading tomorrow’s innovations, today. Our solutions are empowering individuals, businesses, and communities everywhere to unlock their potential and realize the power of technology. That means connecting children to hands-on learning experiences, enabling global businesses to build mobile workforces, and helping municipalities run greener and more efficiently. Simply put: we’re creating a better future. And you can be a part of it.
With our world of career-defining opportunities, you're sure to find the right fit for your expertise and experience. Visit jobsatvzw.com/vzwjobs
to learn more and apply today.
Careers For Everything You Are
Verizon is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V
Principal Server System Engineer Windows or UNIX
|Job Reference Number
- Lead and oversee problem management (Microsoft or LUNIX/UNIX servers) and operational improvements including datacenter operations across multiple teams located in different geographic areas and time zones.
- Moderate and oversee root cause analysis of major incidents. Provided status and operational procedure improvement and recommendations including performance, design and service improvement reports, open incident status, and fix implementation/release schedule.
- Monitor and oversee the quality of service’s key performance indicators including availability and reliability ensuring service delivery is in accordance with SLA’s.
- Individual will be functional/technial lead and subject-matter-expert for the infrastructure elements supporting M2M and CDA platform applications under their supervision.
- Oversee the successful database replication of complex multisite storage-area-networks
- Manage server health, tools and utilities for server management, monitoring and alerting. Composes clear and concise system documentation and reports
- Manage and execute methods of procedures (MOPs) and ensure technical standards are adhered to and no adverse effects will be caused on the production network.
- Oversee servers/backup operations and systems monitoring
- Provide on-call leadership rotation for after-hour and weekends
- Executing and meeting high-availability (99.999% uptime) SLAs
- Make recommendations to Network Manager based on history and trends.
Ongoing Project & Relationship Management:
- Lead the M2M MC datacenter migration
- Create detailed project plans and run weekly status calls with cross functional teams.
- Create project documentation templates
- Support team mates when resource conflicts arise
- Work with vendor to coordinate schedules and resource
- Interface with Engineering and Application Managers on business continuity and disaster recovery requirements
- Coordinate with Regional resources to facilitate hardware installations.
- Build strong working relationships with other organizations to ensure timely delivery.
Purchasing & Vendor Management:
- Negotiate pricing for Infrastructure equipment hardware, software, and licenses, and obtain approval for funding NNO Planning.
- Work closely with the vendor to ensure platforms meet agreed upon system performance,KPIs, road maps, installations, SLA's, and development of project needs.
- Work with the vendor directly for all feature enhancements to application or hardware that might impact system/network capacity.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Must have one of the following certifications: Microsoft MCSE, VMWare VCP, Red Hat RHCSA, LINUX LPIC, Red Hat RHSE, HP ASE or Cisco CCNP or equivalent Information Technology Industry certification
- Minimum of 10+ years Information Technology experience with UNIX or Windows infrastructure.
- Project management experience, with strong leadership skills and ability to achieve consensus and drive for results
- Experienced with datacenter operations / relocations, complex multisite server architecture and data storage SAN upgrade / replacements.
- Experience with cyber security, server hardening and DMZ deployment
For Microsoft Server Admin only
- 10+ years of Active Directory/Windows server 2003, 2008, 2012 administration experience
For LINUX/UNIX Server Admin only
- 10+ years of LINUX/UNIX administration experience, in-depth knowledge of RedHat based distros
Equal Employment Opportunity
Report this job
- Verizon is a Federal Contractor
- Verizon requests veteran priority referrals
- Verizon is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer M/F/Disability/Vet.
Find out what's going on with Verizon!
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.