Automotive Fleet Supervisor - Memphis TN
UPS, Inc. | Memphis, TN | Posted 7/17/2014
The Automotive Fleet Supervisor is responsible for maintaining a safe, reliable, and cost-efficient fleet of vehicles to support the business. He/she ensures proper use and care of physical assets, helps to prevent equipment failures, controls costs, manages external vendor relationships, works closely with auto mechanics and internal customers, and performs regular equipment and facility audits. This position supervises mechanics within the department.
A primary responsibility of this position is to monitor fleet vehicle equipment maintenance. To do this, the Automotive Fleet Supervisor schedules Preventative Maintenance Inspections and reviews the results, monitors repairs, and performs vehicle audits to ensure mechanics adhere to safety, regulatory and appearance standards. This individual analyzes equipment or vehicle system failures to determine root causes and resolve problems, and plans and coordinates equipment repairs with internal and external groups (e.g., drivers, vendors). Another major area of responsibility is to maintain automotive cost effectiveness. Duties include reviewing equipment failures and component replacements to identify trends, and monitoring key expense indices (e.g., fuel, replacement parts, tires, labor hours, equipment, etc.) to identify and implement cost-saving strategies. The Automotive Fleet Supervisor also supports automotive safety and regulatory compliance by conducting facility audits, following up on issues, and coordinating safety and regulatory training. Vendor related duties include verifying external-vendor repairs, preparing repair orders and estimates, and performing on-site vendor inspections.
- Ensure adequate inventory levels (e.g., parts, tires, etc.) to support business processes
- Work with other groups to prevent, identify and resolve equipment and service problems
- Adhere to purchasing limits, expense approval procedures, and equipment disposal guidelines to remain within cost plan
- Review and approve automotive expenses
- Determine employee training needs to produce continuous development plans
- Provide feedback and support
- Conduct performance evaluations and resolve individual and group performance issues
- Applies legal, regulatory and safety compliance knowledge to reduce company risk
- Applies knowledge of mechanical fundamentals, maintenance, diagnosis, and repair to vehicle or aircraft fleet operation
- Applies an understanding of policies and procedures to situations and operations in a business area
- Applies knowledge of company structure and operations to resolve problems, make decisions and achieve business objectives
- Builds labor relations with unionized employees, and addressing and resolving requests and situations
- Coaches and develops others using career development processes and tools
- Manages equipment repair and oversees the correction of problems with tools, machinery and other standard technical equipment
- Manages inspections of buildings, grounds, equipment, supplies, and/or compliance documents to ensure safety, regulatory compliance, prolonged service life, and appearance
- Manages physical assets (e.g., machinery, vehicles, equipment, supplies). Evaluates, obtains and allocates physical asset resources, maximizes their use and projects future asset needs
- Manages and establishes working relationships with vendors (e.g., suppliers, consultants, contractors)
Not ready to apply?
Living your dreams makes the world work better.
Making the world work better. Faster. Smarter. As the leading package delivery company and global leader in supply chain solutions, we’re passionate about bringing better ways to orchestrate everything from complex international distribution networks to local business deliveries. That’s logistics. And that’s exactly what careers at UPS are all about.
Across the skies, oceans and borders, UPS team members deliver on that promise for billions of customers every day. We offer limitless opportunities in a huge range of career areas, so you’re sure to find roles that suit your dreams and your expertise, along with a lifetime of possibilities.
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.