Research Scientist I - SSM/GMP
Fantastic Opportunity For A Research Scientist I!! Join our outstanding team at AMRI, recipient of the 2013 Leadership Award in Quality from "Life Science Leader" magazine! Albany Molecular Research Inc. provides global contract research and manufacturing services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
The Research Scientist I is expected to demonstrate expertise in both the theoretical and practical aspects of organic chemistry. Principal responsibility is the synthesis, purification, identification, process development, optimization, and scale-up of chemical intermediates and target compounds. A major component in the scientist's performance rating will be based on productivity.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Synthesize target compounds utilizing a blend of both classical and modern technology effectively. Adapt laboratory or customer supplied procedures to GMP operations.
- Modify reaction conditions in accord with visual observations to allow rapid, successful production of target compounds.
- Optimize the reaction processes for scale-up by making appropriate modifications of known methods or modification of reaction conditions under minimal supervision (design of new or alternate reaction sequences is not a normal expectation, but will enhance the performance evaluation of the scientist). The range of reaction types handled capably by the scientist will be significant.
- Use a broad spectrum of practical laboratory skills as needed; including advanced methods of purification of solvents and reagents, running reactions under anhydrous and oxygen free conditions, and using advanced methods for isolation/purification of sensitive materials.
- Analyze and identify compounds using a good range of modern separation and spectroscopic techniques. This will include interpretation of TLC, HPLC, polarimetry, IR, and NMR spectra of moderate complexity.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Set specifications for raw materials and intermediates.
- Write clear and concise Batch Records.
- Follow GMP protocols and procedures for execution of GMP products.
- Complete Batch Records, deviation reports and investigation reports in a timely fashion.
- Remain current on GMP and FDA guidelines.
- Interact efficiently with Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Write SOPs; write and perform IQ/OQs.
- Responsible for security or “isolation” of restricted areas and appropriate storage space.
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Recommend and implement methods to increase the quality of products and/or service.
- Adapt to changing priorities such that productivity is unaffected. Manage workload and time to enable the incumbent to perform multiple projects effectively, and ensure all necessary paperwork is completed on a timely basis.
- Conduct literature searches for specific target compounds, structures related to the target compound, or to determine specific conditions for compounds and reactions.
- Communicate effectively in verbal and written form on research results, issues, and plans. Discuss routinely with supervisor the status of the assigned programs and potential problems.
- Perform other related duties as may be reasonably assigned in the course of business
- A BS or MS in Chemistry with a focus on Organic Chemistry. Other relevant degrees and experience will be considered.
- Two to five years experience working a GMP environment is preferred.
- Prior pharmaceutical experience is preferred.
Albany Molecular Research, Inc. (AMRI) is a global contract research and manufacturing organization with more than twenty years’ experience in providing customers with fully integrated drug discovery, development, and manufacturing partnerships. AMRI builds its expert knowledge and advice into customers’ programs to deliver a complete range of value-added services with more informed decision-making, resulting in enhanced efficiency and more successful outcomes at all stages of the pipeline. AMRI’s smarter options for insourcing and outsourcing support discovery and development of pharmaceutical products, manufacturing of API and drug product for existing and experimental new drugs. With unrivalled project management and locations in the United States, Europe, and Asia, AMRI maintains geographic proximity and seamless delivery across multiple sites.
AMRI has historically leveraged its drug discovery expertise to progress several internal programs to the development candidate stage and, in some cases, into Phase I clinical development. AMRI has successfully partnered certain programs and is actively seeking to out-license its remaining programs to strategic partners for further development.