QualTex Laboratories, an affiliate of South Texas Blood & Tissue Center, screens millions of whole blood and plasma donations for infectious agents each year for biotechnology companies locally and across the globe, which requires unique regulatory oversight. QualTex Laboratories is registered as a clinical laboratory provider by both state and federal agencies. Additionally, it is one of the world's largest plasma testing centers.
Blood Bank Specialist
Certified Medical Technologist / Clinical Laboratory Scientist
QualTex Laboratories, a subsidiary of BioBridge Global
is seeking a
Certified Medical Technologist / Clinical Laboratory Scientist
to perform all testing for the Immunohematology Reference Laboratory (IRL) department
in our San Antonio, TX location.
We are seeking a certified Medical Technologist (Clinical Laboratory Scientist) to work in a highly complex reference blood bank. We have a variety of techniques to perform Antibody Identification, test donor antigen by molecular method and provide antigen negative blood for all of south Texas. Responsibilities / Expectations for the Certified Medical Technologist / Clinical Laboratory Scientist include:
- Type and crossmatch blood for transfusion.
- Identify allo and auto antibodies using various specialized techniques.
- Phenotype red cells for specific antigens.
- Perform quality control assays of blood components.
- Evaluate results of all testing- recognizing unusual test results and resolving discrepancies
- Ensure quality control of all testing systems.
- Maintain accurate and complete records.
- Exhibit a positive working relationship with donors, co-workers and the public.
- Perform equipment calibration and performance checks.
- Answer the telephone and report testing results as appropriate.
- Train new employees and students on the overall operations of the special procedures department.
- Write standard operating procedures as assigned.
- Commit to and embrace the mission, vision, and core values of QualTex Laboratories:
- Positive work attitude
- Respect for co-workers and management staff
- Excellent customer service [for both internal and external customers]
- Adherence to all safety, regulatory, and quality requirements
- Continuous improvement
- Participate in continuing education and attend meetings as required.
- Assist with training and/or mentoring of new employees and/or volunteers.
- Participate in team-oriented work projects for the development and implementation of validations, process improvements, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
All Full Time Positions Qualify for -
100% Employer Paid Pension Plan & Full Benefits Package
Benefits for the Certified Medical Technologist / Clinical Laboratory Scientist include:
BioBridge Global is proud to be an EEO-AA employer M/F/D/V and maintains a Drug-Free Workplace.
- Medical, Vision and Dental Plan
- Pension Plan
- Term Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Plan
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Tax Sheltered Annuity
- Flexible Benefits Plan
- Supplemental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Educational Assistance Program
- Credit Union
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Extended Illness Bank (EIB)
- Funeral Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Will require walking, bending, and prolonged sitting and/or standing during work hours. Required to carry up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift up to 40 lbs. Requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires normal or corrected vision and hearing to a normal range.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Works in a well lighted, air conditioned and heated laboratory. Laboratory consists of complex setting with robotic instrumentation. May be exposed to body fluids, blood borne pathogens, electrical, mechanical, laser, chemical, and infectious hazards. May have bodily exposure to refrigerator/freezer temperatures, especially hands and face. Will work extended hours during peak periods. May be required to work any time of the day, evening or night during the week or weekend to include being on-call.
Monday - Friday 3:00 pm - 11:30 pm, alternating weekends, holidays and on-call
Requirements for the Certified Medical Technologist / Clinical Laboratory Scientist include:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Medical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology or equivalent
Experience: two years laboratory experience
Computer experience preferred
Certification: Certified MT, CLS, or MLS required
Categorical Specialist Certifications preferred
Knowledge: Must have a working knowledge of Laboratory Sciences. Must maintain knowledge of regulatory/quality requirements and perform within all standard operating policies and procedures.
Skills: Must be capable of performing, evaluating, and reporting laboratory tests by current testing methodologies. Must maintain competency in laboratory skills for liquid and material handling. Must have adequate written and oral communication skills. Computer skills preferred.
Abilities: Must be able to work with interruptions, meet deadlines, and perform accurate laboratory testing. Must perform well in repetitive testing situations. Must be professional, self-motivated, organized, detail oriented, and communicative. Must work well both independently and as a team member. Must be able to keep information confidential. Must be neat in appearance and well groomed.
BioBridge Global and its subsidiaries are proud to be an EEO/AA-M/F/D/V/Genetic Data employer that maintains a Tobacco & Drug-Free Workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic data or other legally protected status
Report this job
Not ready to apply?
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.