- Company:Argosy University
- Contact:Not Available
- Location:Atlanta, GA
- Base Pay:N/A
- Employee Type:Full-Time
- Industry:Healthcare - Health Services
- Manages Others:Not Specified
- Job Type:Health Care
- Req'd Education:Not Specified
- Req'd Experience:Not Specified
Argosy University (www.argosy.edu), with 19 campus locations in 13 states and its online program, is a private academic institution dedicated to providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs to students in a supportive learning environment where academic knowledge is enriched by the acquisition of interpersonal skills vital to success. Argosy University has five colleges: Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences and Undergraduate Studies. With one of the largest communities of graduate students in the nation, Argosy University offers doctoral and master’s degree programs in Psychology, Business, Counseling and Education. The institution also offers bachelor’s degree programs in Psychology, Business, Liberal Arts and Criminal Justice. Degree level and programs offered vary by location. Argosy University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, California, 94501, http://www.wascsenior.org).
Summary: The Practitioner Faculty (with rank appropriate to the educational and professional background of the individual) provides meaningful student learning of the course competencies in the curriculum and proactively supports all facets of the learning environment. S/he provides education through learning-centered instruction that will enable graduates of Argosy University’s programs to fulfill the evolving needs of the marketplace. S/he encourages a culture of learning and innovation through institutional service that values mutual responsibility and respect, life-long learning and ethics as well as personal and professional development. The Practitioner Faculty possesses a unique and rich set of experiences in industry, academic, strategic, and/or personnel domains to improve the learning environment shared among Argosy University’s students, faculty, staff, and administration.
The Practitioner Faculty has a normal course load each academic year to teach 3 or 5 courses (9 or 15 semester credits), with the number of courses dependent on administrative and operational needs of the campus and through discussion with the pertinent campus Academic Dean and Program Director.
The course load may encompass one or more teaching modalities (online, blended, or campus-based) as appropriate to the physical location of the Practitioner Faculty and the needs of Argosy University.
The Practitioner Faculty successfully completes 6 hours of faculty training and professional development, following an appropriate plan during the academic year.
The position is campus-based, but in all cases must reside within the United States.
The Practitioner Faculty must assure that the Argosy University mission and philosophy: quality services to students; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
The Practitioner Faculty also participates in activities that promote the stature of the academic departments and programs within the college, always abiding by the mandates set by the Argosy University Board of Trustees and administration.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
• As a member of the faculty, performs his/her responsibilities as outlined in this position description and in accordance with the provisions of the Faculty Supplement to the Argosy University Employee Handbook.
• Supervises educational processes within each course taught to ensure every student is involved in a positive educational experience through the learning, teaching, and social environment.
• Manages the learning environment through keeping accurate records, submitting grades and other reports on time, and complying with appropriate (and striving to exceed) faculty performance standards and student engagement policies (including those related to faculty presence, participation, feedback, and outreach).
• Provides instruction that aligns with the Argosy University model of curricula as well as supports the Argosy University style of course delivery.
• Delivers learning-centered instruction by establishing a classroom environment conducive to learning and student involvement as well as effectively planning and preparing for classes and student success.
• Enables the achievement of pre-described exit outcomes for student achievement and evaluation of learning.
• Promotes student success by showing flexibility in style and work schedule as well as exhibiting a passion for teaching and students and engaging students in the learning process.
• Relates professional/life/industry experience to learning by the continuation of professional/technical skills development, the introduction of professional/industry perspective into courses, and the active awareness of professional/industry trends and opportunities.
• In consultation with and approval by the pertinent Campus Academic Dean and Program Director, the Practitioner Faculty is involved in a minimum of 2 substantial areas (for those individuals with a normal teaching load of 3 courses during an academic year) or a minimum of 1 substantial areas (for those individuals with a normal teaching load of 5 courses during an academic year) of the learning, administrative, and operational activities of Argosy University and the campus at which the Practitioner Faculty is associated. These activities require significant time and effort, contributing to the mission of the University and operations of the campus (if applicable). The Practitioner Faculty shares his/her experiences in industry, academic, strategic, and/or personnel domains to uniquely contribute to these activities. Such activities include (though not an exhaustive list):
o Participating on University, college, and/or departmental committees and task forces.
o Participating in college and/or programmatic admissions evaluations or prior learning assessment evaluations.
o Contributing to special college, departmental, and/or campus projects and initiatives (including instructional innovation, assessment, student success, faculty success and development, faculty training, business development, community outreach, staff training and development, and program/course enhancements).
o Identifying initiatives to improve the student and faculty academic experience and (once approved for implementation) working with college, departmental, and/or campus administration and faculty colleagues to develop action plans and drive plan completion to attain the relevant academic goals of the Argosy University.
o Advising students in academic, programmatic, professional, and career matters.
o Performing administrative responsibilities at the campus.
o Contributing to doctoral program responsibilities, including residency planning/staffing and/or doctoral student mentoring.
o Participating as doctoral dissertation chairs and/or committee members.
• Based on instructional needs of the college and with explicit prior written approval of the pertinent Campus Academic Dean and Program Director, the Practitioner Faculty may teach a course on an “overload” basis in specific cases where the Practitioner Faculty is the only individual credentialed to a specific course which must be offered due to student enrollment needs. A maximum of 2 courses may be taught as “overload” per the above criteria by a Practitioner Faculty during the academic year. Requests above the 2 course maximum may only be approved as a significant exception by both the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Vice President of Academic Operations. In cases where such responsibilities are undertaken, compensation for “overload” courses is awarded only after the completion of all courses required within the normal course load during the academic year.
• Due to the nature of the position’s primary responsibilities and overall workload, the Practitioner Faculty may not receive any course releases.
• Participates in required University, college, and departmental meetings, including graduation ceremonies and student orientations as appropriate.
• Works with college and department administration to implement programmatic and course curriculum requirements compliant with Argosy University policies and procedures.
• Works with University, college and department administration to implement academic policies, procedures, educational policies that are compliant with WASC and programmatic accreditation standards and state agency regulations.
• Works with University, college and department administration to implement institutional assessment plans and procedures, with the results used to improve the student experience.
• Participates in the periodic and annual (as appropriate) faculty evaluation requirements (including class observations) to ensure s/he provides a strong, student-focused educational environment through consistent adherence to student competencies, assessments, and pedagogy, in compliance with Argosy University policies.
• Participates in faculty training and professional development requirements for the faculty within the department and college, in compliance with Argosy University policies.
• Communicates consistently and effectively with the college and department administration, campus administration, students, faculty colleagues, and other Argosy University staff and administration.
• Participates in investigations of student complaints or appeals, in consultation with pertinent individuals and departments according to the policies and procedures of Argosy University.
• Consulting activities and outside teaching should be carefully considered so that these activities do not interfere with the Practitioner Faculty’s primary responsibilities. Therefore, the Practitioner Faculty is encouraged to discuss consulting activities and outside teaching with the pertinent Campus Academic Dean and Program Director prior to beginning these efforts.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Pertinent Campus Academic Dean and Program Director.
Directly Supervises: None.
Interacts with: College and department administration, campus administration, students, faculty colleagues, and Argosy University staff and administration.
• For graduate programs, a terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution in the program discipline, with a minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter hours of graduate coursework in the discipline.
• Other requirements specific to the discipline and/or programmatic accreditation, including active, valid, and unencumbered licensure or certification.
• At least six months teaching experience at the collegiate level preferred, with diverse online, blended, and campus-based experiences a plus.
• Significant professional experience in an organizational setting relevant to Argosy University’s programs, with a diverse set of industry, academic, strategic, and personnel experiences a plus.
• Willingness and demonstrated ability to support and foster student achievement at all levels, rather than simply evaluate the completion of requirements and/or responsibilities.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong personnel management experience.
• Experience with computerized learning management systems and education technology tools strongly preferred.
• Proficiency with the use of standard office applications on personal computers.
• Ability to read, understand, and implement academic policies and procedures.
• Ability to resolve inquiries and complaints from students in a supportive and professional manner.
• Ability to effectively present information to students, faculty colleagues, and academic and campus leaders.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
• Ability to work effectively, cooperatively, and flexibly in a team environment.
• Ability to physically work in the United States while performing all responsibilities of the position for Argosy University.
• Employees of EDMC, including employees of its educational systems, may not hold concurrent appointments with their current EDMC position and as a Practitioner Faculty with Argosy University.
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.