Assistant Store Manager
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To supervise and coordinate delegated store functions in a manner which will ensure retail sales and related activities are performed in a professional, courteous, reliable, and results-oriented manner.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• Supervises and coordinates assigned retail sales functions and personnel under the guidance and direction of the Store Manager. Schedules employees, and ensures coverage throughout all business hours. Answers questions from store personnel on products and procedures. Provides technical expertise. Assists with personnel matters and functions as Store Manager when needed.
• Keeps sales personnel informed of new products, local advertising, price changes and other significant information pertaining to sales activities. Ensures Sales Representatives receive adequate training on new products to explain/demonstrate such products in an effective manner. Ensures that Sales Representatives adhere to all non-negotiable selling standards as measured by the store mystery shop scores, and actively participate in Company, regional, and store sales promotions and contests.
• Ensures that required changes are made in the store showroom by making sure all displayed merchandise is properly priced and signed, stock is rearranged to promote sales, new product is effectively displayed and the showroom is consistently maintained to ensure a neat and orderly sales environment, including all demonstration fixtures, product displays and work areas as per Company BOSS program.
• Completes all merchandising programs in a timely manner including merchandising “hot topics”, plan-o-grams, great buys, dump bins, case lots and features.
• Monitors all Company sponsored promotions and actively seeks to maximize alternate sources of revenue by ensuring service protection /extended warranty sales (SPP’s) meet or exceed Company goals; Northern credit cards sales meet or exceed Company goals; and the Service Department meets or exceeds Company goals regarding parts sales, billing of technician hours, and filing of warranty claims.
• Handles customer complaints, and assists sales personnel with problem situations. Ensures that Sales Representatives continually seek opportunities to make add-on sales.
• Prices or assists in the pricing of discontinued and surplus items, and coordinates the sale of such merchandise.
• Recommends new products and coordinates such recommendations with the Store Manager and the Purchasing Department. Provides input for Retail/Purchasing meetings. Notifies Purchasing of recurrent stock-out situations or abnormal sales trends.
• Performs the work of Sales Representatives. Demonstrates expertise in the techniques outlined in the Northern Star Sales Training Program.
• Participates in all non-commissioned events deemed necessary by the Company (sales meetings, trade shows, etc.).
• Balances all money taken in daily. Works with Store Manager to investigate discrepancies and take corrective action when necessary. Ensures that inventory at store is properly managed to meet Company inventory standards, as measured by regular cycle counts, internal audits, and physical inventories. Actively seeks to minimize shrinkage of inventory and protect the store against shoplifting and internal theft.
• Maintains a working knowledge of the Northern Retail Operations Manual. Satisfactorily completes the Northern Star Management Training Program.
• Keeps supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates/communicates plans and activities with others, as appropriate, to ensure a coordinated work effort and “team” approach.
• Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High school education or equivalent. 2 years of college or related technical training preferred.
• At least 1 to 2 years of related sales experience.
• Knowledge of light industrial products, hydraulics, etc.
• Very high mechanical aptitude.
• Demonstrated example of leadership ability.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide variety of customers, Company personnel, and others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
• Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle objects, and talk and hear.
• Frequent wrist and/or hand movement is required.
• Frequently required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
• Specific vision abilities required include depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
When I graduated from the University of Minnesota-Duluth, I remember being filled with many hopes and dreams. Of course I wanted to be successful, but more importantly, I wanted to feel fulfilled and proud of each of my future endeavors.
In the fall of 1980, I took a risk and realized one of my dreams when I started Northern Tool + Equipment as a part-time mail-order business. Although initially the company was small, I strongly believed in its potential and knew that with perseverance, it would ultimately be successful.
Since that time, Northerns success and growth have been nothing less than remarkable. Year after year, sales from our catalog, Internet and retail stores continue to skyrocket. With an eye to the future, we steadily explore new and exciting territories, planning aggressive expansion into a multitude of new business ventures.
Today, there are more challenging and diverse opportunities available to Northern employees than ever before. Recruiting and developing the best talent in the industry creates a strong team, and we recognize the important role each employee plays in contributing to the success of our company. Ultimately, it is through the personal growth and daily achievements of our employees that the Northern vision will come to life and the company will continue to flourish.
With that in mind, we encourage our over 2000 employees to take risks and think big as they work to accomplish both individual and team goals, and we reward them when they do. After all, I may never have fulfilled my dreams if I hadn't taken a risk in starting Northern more than 30 years ago.
The future holds a wealth of exciting and rewarding possibilities and we invite you to join us in making the most of them. Come grow with us!
Donald L. Kotula
Founder and Chief Executive Officer
Northern Tool + Equipment
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.