The Laboratory Assistant Specialist performs all the duties of the lab assistant and performs lab testing under the direct supervision of medical technologists.
Under general supervision of a Pathologist and other supervision, and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Performs all essential duties of a laboratory assistant, including on-site phlebotomy and drug screen collections
- Performs lab testing under the direct supervision of medical technologist as applicable at testing site
Prepares specimens to be loaded to analyzers and verifies patient identification throughout the process. May prepare standardized reagents utilized by the analyzer(s)performs waived testing.
Hematology: Prepares peripheral smears; may set up retic counts and sedimentation rates, may load pre-labeled specimens into automatic cell counters.
Urinalysis: Describes physical properties of urine samples (color and clarity), may dip urine test strips and load to automatic strip readers.
Microbiology: Receives and stores prepared media by expiration date; plates bacteriologic culture specimens to appropriate media; prepares stool specimens for ova and parasite testing; prepares gram stains or other allowable staining
Blood Bank: Performs clerical and other non-technical procedures as trained and under the direction of the technologist or supervisor
- Performs blood gas analysis as applicable at testing site
- Checks with toxicology to verify all collections, NIDA and non-NIDA, are per DOT guidelines
- May be trained as a Breath Alcohol Technician (BAT) and perform testing per regulations
- May be a certified dangerous goods packer/shipper
- May be cross-trained as a backup receptionist handling cash and credit cards for PDS
- May be assigned to work at various locations as required
- Responsible for maintaining on-going re-certification
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance, and legal requirements
- Must have reliable and consistent attendance and comply with Company guidelines on attendance
- Performs other duties assigned
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and lifting of up to 50 lbs may be required
- Frequent reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately
- Frequent prolonged standing, walking, sitting, and bending over
- Use of hands and fingers
- Air conditioned laboratory environment
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), bio-hazardous body fluids, and occasional hazardous chemicals
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction
- May be asked to work extended hours
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material
- Ability to see things from the customer’s/patient’s point of view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency situations with calmness and professionalism
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive working relationships
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy required
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform job.
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and standards.
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others’ time; adheres to schedules and agendas.