Job Title: Senior Accountant
Reports To: Assistant Controller
Business Unit: Marketing
Operating Unit: Finance & Acct
Country / Business Group: U.S.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information and prepare financial statements in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for assigned offices/divisions.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (Describe the major duties of the job. List the Essential Duties and Responsibilities in order of most time spent to least. To the right under the % column, include the % for each item or group of items that are to total 100%)
Monthly Close/Forecast - 25%
- Manage the month end closing process and monthly forecasts as applicable. Prepare journal entries with proper supporting documentation. Ensure all deadlines are met. Analyze for discrepancies and solve or escalate any issue which may arise.
General Ledger - 20%
- Ensure accurate and appropriate recording of revenue and expenses. Uses knowledge of accounting principles/GAAP as well as understanding of business operations to determine appropriateness of transactions. Proactively investigate and resolve discrepancies. Research and explain account fluctuations.
Financial Reporting - 20%
- Independently prepare draft financial statements and financial management reports in conformity with GAAP and company accounting policy. Analyze fluctuations in revenue, expenses and margins and provide explanations for variances. Design financial reports and collaborate with other teams to implement needs. Make recommendations to Controller for streamlining of and improvement to reports.
Balance Sheet - 10%
- Perform detailed review and analysis of all balance sheet accounts and prepare reconciliations for month, quarter and year end. Proactively identify issues and resolve and bring to the Controller’s attention when necessary.
Internal Controls - 10%
- Perform detailed review and analysis of information obtained from internal customers and divisional management and ensures compliance with internal control policies.
Build Relationships - 10%
- Develop and maintain relationship with Operations. Provide guidance and direction to Operations on accounting policies and procedures. Work closely with Corporate Accounting and the other Marketing divisions. Train and supervise the Staff Accountant I role (where applicable).
Intercompany - 5%
- Record and reconcile all intercompany transactions. Work closely with the Staff Accountants from the other divisions to ensure balances net out to zero companywide at month end.