Abraxas, a GEO Group company, is a leading provider of innovative and quality treatment programs for youth, adults and families. For 40 years, Abraxas has contracted with various county and state agencies for the operation of residential, community-based, detention/shelter services and alternative education programming. We offer specialized services for hard-to-place juvenile populations including fire setters, sexual offenders and habitual offenders in addition to gender specific programming for females in need of treatment.
Responsible for the oversight of department, ensuring that goals and objectives are accomplished according to policy directions of the corporation and within the scope defined by the contract. Responsible for the quality of services provided to students and works in conjunction with the Education Director to remedy deficiencies and enrich programs.Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures proper processing of all students for programmatic needs, and ensures that all students participating receive quality services that comply with the federal regulations and standards.
- Assists in the preparation of program proposals.
- Develops policies relating to program operations. Makes revisions to current policies as required, ensuring compliance with the standards set by the company and the student agency.
- Assesses needs of programs staff and provides regularly scheduled supervision and/or training to address those needs.
- Provides case consultations and one-to-one counseling for difficult students when serious incidents occur.
- Conducts departmental staff performance reviews.
- Serves as committee member on training, budget and policy review boards.
- May assist management in the establishment of long-range plans and corresponding schedules to achieve facility goals and objectives.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university, plus one (1) year of related experience.
- Valid Illinois State Board of Education Type 75 license and Special Education Endorsement
- Administrative experience is required
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret documents related to recreational activities/physical education, short correspondence, and memos
- Ability to exercise discretion and use independent judgment in making decisions
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to promote positive behavior and manage resistant behavior
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Effective time management skills
- Basic mathematical skills / comprehension of concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Physical ability to safely and effectively manage aggressive behavior
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age
- A valid Illinois driver’s license
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.
Not ready to Apply?
About Geo Group
The GEO Group, Inc. (GEO) is a world leader of government outsourced services specializing in the delivery of correctional and detention management, medical and mental health rehabilitation services, family and youth services, and other diversified services to federal, state and local government agencies around the globe.
GEO's success around the world has been achieved by our highly-trained work force. We employ over 18,000 professionals within our facilities, regional, international, and corporate offices. Our highly skilled professionals manage approximately 77,500 beds at 98 correctional, detention and residential treatment facilities.
With operations in the United States, Australia, South Africa, and the United Kingdom; GEO offers a diversified array of turnkey services which include design, construction, financing, and operations. Our unique approach allows GEO to provide high-quality and cost-effective services with state-of-the-art designs, innovative programs and ground-breaking treatment approaches.
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Read what employees have to say about working at Geo Group:
"My career at GEO began in January 1995. I am a 17-year veteran at GEO where I have had the opportunity of working almost every post on every shift. I have enjoyed working various positions throughout my career."
Penny, Correctional Officer
"GEO has given me great training. I have confidence that I can move up and make this a lifetime career. I feel there are no limits with this company."
Melissa, Receiving & Release Officer
"Forensic nursing creates unlimited opportunities for evidence-based practice and patient advocacy. It challenges your psychiatric skills."
Darlene, Registered Nurse
"As an Officer, I was given many opportunities to work various positions. My overall career and experience at GEO has been a very rewarding one for me."
Curtis, Administrative Captain
"My career at GEO began in November 1997, and I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks for the opportunities the company has given me. My overall career for the past 14 years has been a great experience."