RTI International is one of the world's leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
We are currently seeking an Environmental Engineer to work in our Environmental, Engineering and Economics Division, Air Quality Engineering Group. Candidate will work in an office environment to provide technical program support for government and commercial clients including the U.S. EPA's Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards (OAQPS) and Office of Atmospheric Programs (OAP) and clients abroad (e.g., China and United Arab Emirates). Minimal travel is expected (0-10 percent of time).
- Information gathering and data analysis
- Technical and regulatory writing
- Design/develop computer spreadsheets and databases to manipulate/analyze data and summarize/present information
- Develop emissions inventories for hazardous air pollutants, greenhouse gases (GHGs), and criteria air pollutants.
- Evaluate compliance with domestic and international environmental rules.
- Apply engineering analysis skills to research various types of industrial processes, associated emissions control system design/operation/costs, and environmental regulatory requirements.
- Identify and evaluate options for reducing GHG emissions from industrial sources.
- Apply and interpret standard scientific or engineering theories, concepts, and techniques in industrial processes; understand process byproducts and associated emissions.
- BS in Chemical or Environmental Engineering (or related engineering/science degree) with 1 year of related experience.
- Strong interest in air quality and climate change (GHG) issues
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated technical writing ability (writing sample will be requested from candidates interviewed)
- Computer spreadsheet and database analytical skills (particularly intermediate to advanced Excel skills and familiarity with Access)
- Flexibility to work collaboratively as part of a project team, and motivation to work independently as needed
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge/experience within one or more of the following areas:
- Chemical Engineers with experience in the oil and natural gas, petroleum refineries, and/or chemical industries
- Electric utilities, combustion and energy
- Metals or minerals manufacturing (such as Iron and Steel)
- Forest products (such as Pulp and Paper)
- GHG and climate change
- Air pollution control, permitting and/or air emissions measurement
- Advanced Excel and/or data base skills
- Ability to speak or read Mandarin
- Engineer In Training (EIT) registration
To apply, please visit www.rti.org/job15435.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Source - News & Observer