1861 - David Swisher, a merchant out of newark, ohio, receives a small cigar business, as a part of debt settlement.
1870 - Hundreds of cigars are rolled by hand every day in a room manufactury.
1888 - Harry and his brother, John H. Swisher, purchase the company from their father. The two rename the company Swisher Brothers.
1895 - Swisher Brothers grows to three factories, over 1000 employees and makes as many as 300,000 cigars per day.
1913 - John buys out his brother Harry's half of the company, and brings on his own son Carl. Jno. H. Swisher & Son is established.
1924 - After an exhaustive search, Carl selects Jacksonville, FL, as the new site of the company headquarters.
The country's first "fresh work" rolling machines turn on at the Jacksonville headquarters, mass-producing cigars that are superior in uniformity, appearance, and quality. Swisher then becomes the first to wrap individual cigars in cellophane, and first to come up with a simple device for removing the cellophane by pulling the cigar band.
1927 - The Jacksonville plant is doing so well that the Ohio facilities are closed and consolidate into the Florida plant.
1930 - During the darkest days of the depression, at a time when most companies are letting people go, Swisher hires hundred. Swisher's hiring record earns the company Forbes magazine's Certificate of Merit for having had "the vision, courage, and faith in America's fuiture to make large investments in the face of Depression problems.
1939 - Swisher builds the nation's first industrial children's nursery on the top floor of the Jacksonville headquarters. The king Edward Nursery won nationwide acclaim, with professionally trained nurses and attendents on staff around the clock.
1940 - Swisher's King Edward becomes the world's number one, best selling cigar.
1941 - The Jacksonville plant is now the largest cigar factory in the world under one roof.
1942 - Swisher expands by opening numerous other facilities in the nearby tobacco-growing areas for handling, processing, storing and shipping the huge quantities of tabacco needed.
1958 - Jno H. Swisher & Sons introduce the Swisher Sweets brand cigar.
1964 - The company makes a total of four million cigars per day and ships to all fifty states and forty-seven foreign countries.
1985 - Swisher Sweets Little Cigars begin to land on store shelves. Swisher products are now sold in more than sixty countries around the world.
1986 - Swisher grew through several acquisitions including the purchase of Helme Tobacco Company, manufacturers of smokeless tobacco products.
1992 - Swisher changes its name from Jno H. Swisher and Sons, to Swisher International, Inc. With Swisher's quality cigars making their way around the globe to more than seventy different countries, the name seemed like a perfect fit.
Today - Swisher continues to prosper through aggressive and innovative marketing and continually adding new products to its lineup. Swisher also invents millions of dollars in cost effective automation and process improvements.