Skip to Content
Employer Quick Look
The Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, MS)
History of The Clarion-Ledger
The newspaper's roots trace back to 1837 in Jasper County, where The Eastern Clarion began. Later that year it was sold and moved to Meridian.
After the Civil War, it was moved to Jackson and merged with The Standard and soon became known as The Clarion. Combining with the State Ledger in 1888, it received the name of Daily Clarion-Ledger.
Meanwhile, four young men who were displaced by the merger founded their own newspaper, The Jackson Evening Post, in 1882. Fred Sullens purchased an interest in the paper in 1907, and shortly after changed the name to the Jackson Daily News.
Thomas and Robert Hederman bought The Clarion-Ledger in 1920. On August 24, 1937, The Clarion-Ledger and Jackson Daily News incorporated under a charter issued to Mississippi Publishers Corporation for the purpose of selling joint advertising. The Hederman family bought the Jackson Daily News and consolidated the two newspaper plants in 1954.
Over the years, The Clarion-Ledger and Jackson Daily News took many firm stands on issues. The newspapers played a major role in the history of Mississippi.
In 1982, Gannett purchased the two daily newspapers. Gannett consolidated them by combining the best features of both into The Clarion-Ledger in 1989.
In 1983, The Clarion-Ledger won the coveted Pulitzer Prize for a package of stories on Mississippi's education system. In 1993, The Clarion-Ledger acquired Hederman Brothers Printing, an adjacent property for its future building expansion. July 1995 saw The Clarion-Ledger add a second press line, expanding our existing line from 8 to 15 units and providing the capability to print up to 60,000 papers per hour. This was the first of three phases of expansion The Clarion-Ledger would undergo in a brief period of time. In January 1996, the second phase was completed with the moving of the news and business functions to the facility expansion facing Jackson City Hall. And in September 1996, the third phase was completed - that included the renovation on the west side of the building which now houses the circulation and production facilities.
The Pulitzer Prize awarded to The Clarion-Ledger in 1983.
The move from 311 East Pearl Street to 201 South Congress was more than a change in address and facing position. It is considered the beginning of a new era in the publishing history for The Clarion-Ledger.
The Clarion-Ledger is the second oldest company in the state of Mississippi.
The Clarion-Ledger is one of only a few newspapers in the nation that continues to circulate statewide.
The Clarion-Ledger will:
Be Mississippi's leading source of news and advertising information, and serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas.
Strive to be an exemplary supplier of quality products and customer service.
Provide employees with a challenging and rewarding work environment which leads them to their full potential.
Accomplish this mission with the efficiency necessary to return an adequate profit.
201 S. Congress St.
Jackson MS 39201
at The Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, MS)
No Jobs Found.