To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
2900 North Rocky Point Drive
Tampa, FL 33607
- Susan Parker
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Release of Information / Duplicates Specialist
Shriners Hospitals For Children • Tampa, FL
Posted 15 days ago
Under the direction of the HIM Operations Supervisor, the Release of Information/Duplicates Specialist will work in a centralized release of information operation at Shriners Hospitals for Children (SHC) headquarters that will support the confidential printing and release of requested medical record information. The Release of Information/Duplicates Specialist will release patient health information appropriately to requestors according to state, federal and HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) regulatory guidelines. This position requires extensive customer service skills due to continuous interactions with and providing service to revenue cycle staff, HIM staff at SHC facilities, and other 3rd party requestors. The ideal candidate will be responsible for receipt, monitoring, and tracking of release of information requests until completed and meeting a reasonable turnaround. The Release of Information /Duplicates Specialist will work in a centralized Duplicates Process operation at SHC headquarters that will support the review of master patient index information in the EMR for all persons, and when appropriate, completes database clean up.
- Monitors HDQ-ROI emails, date stamp, and process on a daily basis.
- Reviews Lockbox for any HIM Correspondence, Credentialing related information. Print and process medical record requests from SHC IS system.
- Prepares invoices for billable and pre-billable record requests, when applicable.
- Provides information to authorized requestors within 3-5 business days of receiving requests.
- Utilizes the Cerner Request Management system to log, monitor, track and fulfill requests for release of medical information ensuring all data fields are captured.
- Performs quality checks on records before printing the medical record, prior to release of health information. Ensures accurate patient, requestor and requestor address information. Verifies every page of documentation prior to sending.
- Contacts the facility HIM Manager to have incorrect patient information corrected / removed from the chart prior to completing the request.
- Ensures appropriate release of information procedures are followed as required by SHC policies, and state/federal confidentiality regulations, including HIPAA
- Verifies and identifies authorization of requestors of information prior to the release of information as well as uses appropriate methods to identify the correct patient, dates of service requested, and the specific contents of the medical record to be released. Provides minimum necessary documentation to comply with request.
- Ensures authorizations for release of heath information are HIPAA compliant and releases patient information in accordance with minimum necessary guidelines.
- Ensures mode by which information is released (fax, mail, UPS, or electronic) is appropriate for the nature of the request.
- Scans requests for medical record information to be released into the SHCIS system.
- Answers telephone promptly and courteously within 3 rings
Maintains a log of activities and productivity to submit to the HIM Operations Supervisor on a daily basis.
- Executes system electronic MPI reports for all facilities to identify duplicate patients/ persons.
- Contacts other SHC HIM Managers when necessary to determine and facilitate potential patient/parent duplicate that cross over multiple SHC facilities.
- Validates unique identity and the appropriate medical record number or person identification assignment.
- Performs necessary combinations in order to manage MPI information.
Maintains a monitoring tool for error origination to identify areas for process improvement.
- Performs HNA Provider verification process to maintain an accurate MPI and Provider database
Adapts to changes in the work environment and re-prioritizes work, as necessary.
Continuously looks for, and makes suggestions on, ways to improve work process and systems used.
Maintains a satisfactory attendance record to ensure the essential duties of this position are handled in an efficient and timely manner.
Demonstrates the SHC Core Values of Respect, Innovation, Commitment, Integrity, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork performing job functions in accordance with system-wide competencies and behaviors.
Performs other duties as assigned by the HIM Operations Supervisor.
The qualified candidate will have experience in the following areas:
At least one year of prior office or customer service experience required
At least one year of prior healthcare experience in medical records processing operation, physician office, or business office preferred.
Prior medical terminology experience preferred
General knowledge of HIPAA and other federal/state regulations regarding appropriate release of patient health information preferred
Prior exposure to electronic medical records and/or document imaging systems and other healthcare computer applications preferred
Minimum Education Required/Preferred:
High School Diploma / GED required
Graduate of an approved Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) program - American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) credentialed or eligible, preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
Computer/keyboarding skills and working knowledge of office equipment operations
Proficient with computers, specifically Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Ability to accurately relay information and communicate, both verbally and in writing, in a tactful and courteous manner with peers, management, internal/external staff
Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects simultaneously and work well in high-stress situations
Capable of working independently and as part of a team
Ability to elicit and practice cooperation and demonstrate positive morale
Detail-oriented and organization skills