To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
222 North LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60601
- Gina Grunloh
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Senior Records Specialist
Vedder Price • Chicago, IL
Posted 19 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
This is an advanced position within the Records Management Department that requires proven proficiency in the tasks, duties and skills of the Records Specialist position. It also requires extensive knowledge of the Firm’s records management policies, processes and systems, as well as an advanced ability to recognize and appraise specific legal documents for retention and disposition. With the exception of the Department Supervisor, the Senior Records Specialist is the most senior position within the Records Management Department of a local office.
In compliance with the Firm’s Policy on Confidentiality, all members of the Firm’s Records Management Department are prohibited from discussing or disseminating in any way information learned about the Firm, its clients and personnel.
- Perform tasks of Records Specialist, in addition to demonstrating mastery of records management duties such as file creation, circulation, maintenance, document classification, offsite storage, and file transfer. Understand policy and process distinctions between legal representation records and Firm administrative records.
- Extensive use of the Firm’s records management application, including research, reporting, troubleshooting, and use of advanced functionality to manage records retention. Use other Firm applications for research purposes.
- Use the Firm’s technologies to accomplish job tasks and communicate with customers and co-workers.
- Assist co-workers as needed. Train and mentor Records Specialists, under supervision of the Records Supervisor or Manager. Coordinate work teams as assigned; provide feedback as requested.
- Understand all aspects of Department workflow. Observe areas of improvement in processes, and make recommendations to the Records Supervisor and/or Manager.
- Participate in functional application testing, under supervision of the Records Supervisor or Manager of Records & Information Compliance.
- Analyze and solve complex problems or escalate appropriately.
- Identify Department or customer practices that present potential risk exposure, and report same to Records Supervisor or Manager.
- Assist with Department projects and coordinate project work teams as assigned by the Records Supervisor.
- Build strong relationships within the national and local Records Management Department and with customers, particularly with attorneys and administrative departments and with vendors.
Minimum 4 years records management experience, 12 months as a Vedder Price P.C. Records Specialist or equivalent outside experience. Must possess strong analytical skills and successfully demonstrate knowledge of records management principles, customer service and computer skills.
Prior law firm records management experience is a plus. Minimum High School or equivalent.
• Personable and professional
• Solid understanding of the Firm’s records management processes and policies. Demonstrated ability to recognize, identify, classify, and assign value to legal and client documents. Able to define appropriate weeding and disposition approach for representation files and the Firm’s business records.
• Excellent organizational skills; analytical, detail oriented and methodical. Able to adapt to shifting priorities.
• Able to work well independently and in a team environment.
• Solid and demonstrated understanding of the Firm’s records management application, including the ability to use the system to troubleshoot complex problems. Exposure to other Firm applications for research purposes.
• Proficient user of the Firm’s technologies and the Internet.
• Demonstrated leadership aptitude, with an ability to coordinate work teams, as assigned.
• Understanding of records management workflow. Able to identify areas of improvement in process. Solid problem solving skills. Able to diagnose problem complexity and determine need to escalate. Able to follow test plan and document according to instructions.
• Exposure to risk management aspect of records management programs. Able to discern when variances in practice and procedure present risk exposure to the Firm.
• Exposure to project management methodologies and able to complete project tasks on time.
• Understand various supplies used in the records management process and able to track usage. Able to capture and track costs for various records management activities in a methodical manner.
• Strong communication skills, including ability to train and to write organized, clear memoranda, reports and e-mail. Able to explain complicated concepts to customers. Advanced customer service skills, and ability to work with customers to solve difficult problems.
• Strong team player and able to build relationships within the Department and the office with developed interpersonal skills.
• Developed judgment and discernment skills.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently.
• Successful at multi-task management.