To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- New Castle, DE 19720
- Jacquelyn Moore
- Phone: (302) 395-5161
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
CONSTRUCTION INSPECTION SUPERVISOR
NEW CASTLE COUNTY GOVERNMENT • New Castle, DE
Posted 4 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
NEW CASTLE COUNTY GOVERNMENT
invites applications for the position of:
CONSTRUCTION INSPECTION SUPERVISOR (Pay Grade 23) AFSCME Local Union 1607 SALARY: $42,790.00 - $66,386.00 Annually OPENING DATE: 07/13/17 CLOSING DATE: 07/20/17 11:59 PM IMPORTANT INFORMATION: In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
$42,790.00 - $66,386.00 Annually
07/20/17 11:59 PM
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Supervises and oversees all activities of Department of Special Services inspectors involved with New Castle County funded projects, privately funded sewer and pumping station projects, community facilities, and Delaware Department of Transportation sewer relocation projects; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class supervises inspectors and is responsible for the coordination and review of their work. This employee acts as a liaison to the Chief Construction Inspector. This work involves the application of sub-professional engineering knowledge and skills related to all types of construction including, but not limited to, buildings and structures, paving, concrete placement, drainage and erosion control, electrical, plumbing, and heating. This employee is responsible for compliance with BOCA, County codes, and standard specifications and may assist the inspectors with more difficult inspection problems. This employee works under general supervision.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Makes inspection assignments to assigned inspectors;
- Supervises, trains, instructs, and evaluates employees;
- Recommends appropriate discipline when necessary;
- Performs inspection of difficult projects and makes final inspections of construction projects and community facilities;
- Confers with architects, builders, engineers, and others concerning construction and repair practices and problems;
- Investigates problems of unsatisfactory work or conditions reported by assigned inspectors and ensures correction of problems or refers them to a supervisor;
- Prepares data on code violations for use in legal cases and testifies in court;
- Examines blueprints and specifications and advises of unusual features;
- Supervises inspectors in the field and advises on difficult inspection problems;
- Enforces compliance with all County codes, construction specifications, and standard safety practices;
- Develops and recommends training programs, including topics and scheduling;
- Maintains records and prepares related reports;
- Works with other departments, agencies, and the public in the inspection of common facilities;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a data processing terminal, personal computer, and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of all phases of construction including standard New Castle County specifications, building codes, zoning codes, and safety regulations; knowledge of surveying and civil engineering techniques; ability to read and interpret blueprints, plans, and specifications; ability to keep accurate construction quantities for pay estimates; ability to provide accurate estimates for evaluating change orders; ability to check dimensions for accuracy and determine grades and slopes; ability to supervise the work of subordinates; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain thorough and accurate records; good judgment; ability to pass a Class III County physical examination.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: At least five years experience in a responsible sub-professional engineering position in construction, including construction supervision, and at least one year experience in code inspection work and completion of a standard high school education or GED certificate program; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid Delaware Class D driver's license or its equivalent.
Human Resources Technician
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
87 Reads Way
New Castle, DE 19720
CONSTRUCTION INSPECTION SUPERVISOR (PAY GRADE 23) AFSCME LOCAL UNION 1607