To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Baton Rouge, LA
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Capitol City Produce • Baton Rouge, LA
Posted 25 days ago
Experience - At least 5 year(s)
Degree - 4 Year Degree
Food, Transportation, Other Great Industries
Transportation, Distribution - Shipping, Management
How Do You Compare to the Competition?
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Transportation Manager will work under the direction of the Director of Operations and is responsible for directing all activities of Transportation Operations. The position is responsible for actively managing all activities of 75 drivers, driver training on-time deliveries, and ensuring proper and timely fleet maintenance. Provides leadership and development to the Transportation Supervisor and dispatch personnel. Develop and implement systems and processes to increase on-time deliveries, improve employee training, improve employee retention, and to ensure customer satisfaction. Invest in employee relationships in a supportive manner to ensure a positive work culture that fosters employee retention.
PRIMARY POINTS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Maintain 97.5% or higher on-time deliveries for all 1st stops, and 95% or higher for all subsequent stops.
- Manage labor costs to reduce overtime to .4% or lower as a percent of packages shipped.
- Maintain a driver retention rate of 96% or higher.
- Ensure 100% compliance on scheduled fleet Preventative Maintenance (PM’s).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ownership for identifying efficiency opportunities, developing new processes and leading change initiatives with the focus on continually striving to streamline the overall operation and reduce operating costs.
- Develop Processes and Procedures necessary to maintain 97.5% or higher on-time deliveries for all 1st stops, and 95% or higher for all subsequent stops.
- Work with Supervision to develop standard operating procedures (SOP's) and ensure SOP's are consistently followed by all employees, and updated as required.
- Monitor and report on-time deliveries as a percentage of total deliveries for the first stop and all subsequent stops.
- Supervise a diverse workforce of up to 75 employees.
- Work with the Director of Operations to update and manage the Driver Tier pay plan.
- Develop training programs for drivers, and work the safety department to ensure the training program is followed to enhance safety and customer satisfaction.
- Interact in a positive manner within a team environment to promote team building and increase employee retention.
- Oversee transportation, dispatch and day shipping departments.
- Utilize the Driver Scheduling tool to manage driver hours and ensure proper route coverage.
- Manage the optimization of RoadNet Routing System to create and maintain routing efficiencies.
- Work with the Transportation Supervisor to oversee the Fleet Maintenance Provider and ensure proper and timely maintenance of the fleet.
- Develop and manage procedures for truck breakdowns to ensure timely customer service and control repair costs.
- Work with the Transportation Supervisor to analyze daily routes via MobileCast and ensure necessary adjustments are made to enhance our service level to our customers.
- Analyze reporting and monitor driver productivity (service times, shorts, etc.) to make recommendations for improvement and individually address any problems.
- Work with the sales team to review customer delivery days, time windows and service times to create efficiency and maintain customer service.
- Work with the Employee Relationships and Develop department to provide Customer Service training for Drivers.
- Ensure that all work activities are performed with the highest safety standards and strive for continuous improvement.
- Organize subs and extra vehicles needed each day for deliveries.
- Ensure that all paperwork (payroll, terms, write-ups, incentives, etc.) are written accurately and returned in a timely manner.
- Requires a four-year degree from accredited college or university, or the equivalent of 5 years of experience in a Transportation leadership role, preferably in a food distribution environment.
- Business acumen is essential.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to develop accountability systems to achieve high level goals.
- Excellent ability to analyze data timely, efficiently, effectively, and multi-task projects and assignments simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to remain focused with changing objectives, deadlines, and priorities beyond one’s control.
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to analyze data and formulate improvement plans based on results.
- Strong decision making skills with the ability to communicate effective to a large workforce.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Highly organized with strong multi-tasking skills, able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and under pressure.
- Previous experience working with computer-based routing systems.
- DOT regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Relevant safety policies, practices and procedures.
- Project management concepts and techniques.
- Ability to work weekend rotation shifts and some nights as leadership responsibilities require.
- Ability to work holidays where the company remains open for business.
- Must pass a drug and alcohol screen.
EXPECTED PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An employee should contact his or her Supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to follow all office environment physical demands. The employee must have ability to travel.
This position does require some work in a constant 34 degrees temperature room as well as a below 0 degree cooler.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Work environment is usually fast paced with frequent short deadlines and regular instances of critical or unusual situations requiring a high level of adaptability and flexibility.
- Field of work includes offices, the refrigerated warehouse and surrounding grounds.
- Limited hazards due to visits to warehouse and surrounding areas.
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.