To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Sterling Heights, MI
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Proposal / Estimating Project Engineer
MAG • Sterling Heights, MI
Posted 11 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
MAG is a leading manufacturing technology group for machining tasks in milling and turning for turnkey manufacturing systems and machines with customer-specific application technology.
MAG is seeking a Proposal/Estimating Project Engineering team members to join our Project Team.
Project Teams will develop manufacturing systems proposals using MAG machine tools and processing know-how, selecting the required ancillary equipment, cutting tools, and associated material handling systems, to satisfy our customer's production requirements. They will prepare accurate, timely cost estimates of manufacturing equipment including associated material handling, third party equipment, special cutting tools, and all other pricing issues for MAG Automotive products and services.
- Review our customer’s proposal requests to obtain a complete understanding of the requested manufacturing process, and obtain any necessary clarifications. May visit the customer facility to view existing or similar manufacturing processes.
- Generate sketches and drawings of part fixture concepts.
- Calculate tooling feeds and speeds utilizing spreadsheet software to determine the number of machines required.
- Team members will consult with internal departments to ensure compliance with customer specifications and part quality requirements, and consolidates their responses into the final proposal.
- Develop floor layouts showing the placement of MAG machine tools, ancillary equipment and material handling systems
- Assist in development of the cost estimate by estimating personnel, by reviewing historical records and design drawings, and soliciting quotations from tooling, fixture, ancillary equipment and material handling suppliers to ensure an accurate cost estimate.
- Develop the written descriptions of the proposed machines and supporting equipment, project management services, delivery schedules options, etc.
- Support sales staff with answers to customer questions and concerns and assists with the technical presentation to our customer, including the development of technical presentation materials in PowerPoint or AutoCad.
- Individual Team members may lead the internal order “kick-off" meeting to ensure that all MAG departments have a clear understanding of the sold proposal
- Participate in post order "Sales Order Review" meetings for profit/loss analysis.
- Prepare budgetary or detailed cost estimates for new and reworked special machines, CNC machines, and complete manufacturing system using MAG estimating templates and cost references when available.
- Prepare after sale change requests (ASCR) with input from the Program Management and Project Engineering team.
- Work with the proposal engineer to select appropriate reference projects, research actual cost data when available, may solicit and recap supplier quotations, to arrive at an accurate cost estimate.
- Prepare customer pricing summary sheets with agreed selling prices.
- Support sales staff with answers to customer questions and concerns including the preparation of cost analysis documents to justify or selling prices; presentation of these documents to our end customer.
- Prepare internal cost studies to show the impact of gross margin revisions, sales discounts, alternative purchasing or manufacturing strategies etc.
- Prepare Final Management Review (FMR) to document the finalized selling price and associated cost factors, and management adjustments to the standard estimate.
- Prepare as-sold cost estimates to facilitate the release of budget by pre-engineering personnel.
- Assist in sales order review meetings for profit/loss analysis.
- Maintain estimating benchmarks. Recommend necessary changes to management.
- Other duties incidental to the above tasks and related to the proposal and estimating department.
- May visit customer facility to view equipment and process.
- Adheres to quality, customs, foreign trade zone and environmental processes and procedures.
- Share ideas about process improvements and other cost saving measures with management.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university is a plus;
- Plus five or more years of either machine tool design experience and/or training, or manufacturing engineering, CNC part programming, or similar part processing background;
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in the use of word processing, presentation (Power Point) and spreadsheet software preferably in Microsoft OFFICE and AutoCAD computer aided design.
- Ability to maintain project documentation in an organized manner.
- Knowledge of estimating and cost structure of manufacturing processes, machine components or systems.
- Understanding of detailed cost relationships among machine tool components.
- Knowledge of domestic competition and cost structure is preferred.
- Experience with word processing and spreadsheet applications, preferably Microsoft Office.
Travel is an integral part of this position: must be able to travel throughout the day; overnight visits will be routinely required; overseas and international travel will be occasionally required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
No third party or unsolicited resumes will be accepted. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of resumes received, we are unable to accept phone calls or provide individual resume feedback.