To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Tampa, FL
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Principal Research Scientist - Senior Operations Research Analyst (Modeling & Simulation)
Battelle Memorial Institute • Tampa, FL
Posted 11 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking Principal Research Scientist – Senior Operations Research Analyst (Modeling & Simulation) to support the USCENTCOM J8 Resources and Analysis Directorate. This position is located at MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL.
Work shall be primarily performed at USCENTCOM, MacDill AFB, FL. Alternate places of performance may include OCONUS locations such as USCENTCOM Forward Headquarters in Doha, Qatar; component command locations (NAVCENT, AFCENT, ARCENT, MARCENT); and potentially other CONUS/OCONUS locations. These positions are contingent upon award of the contract. Anticipated start work date is 1 May 2017.
Provide insightful analysis through the use of objective data. Farm data utilizing analytical campaign and mission level simulation tools. The contractor shall conduct analysis of resourcing and employment of forces to support the USCENTCOM’s priority planning efforts and assist leadership in making informed decisions.
As part of the Joint Operational Planning Process, the contractor shall conduct constructive combat modeling and simulation analysis in support of current operations and adaptive planning through implementation of Extended Air Defense Simulation (EADSIM), Naval Simulation System (NSS), and Systems Tool Kit (STK). Conduct campaign-level analysis through implementation of the Synthetic Theater Operations Research Model (STORM). The contractor shall employ/develop mathematical models (probabilistic or deterministic models) using commercial or government-off-the-shelf software.
The contractor shall leverage working relationships with analytical partners such as OSD-CAPE, CAA, N81, JS-J8, etc. to extend its capabilities and expertise. The contractor shall ensure the study plans and analyses are adequately reviewed and vetted through other technical experts before presentation to leadership. The contractor shall participate in routine working group sessions to facilitate information exchange, peer review and vetting of products. The group may expand to include additional partners.
- Provide on-site analysis, operation and support of complex simulation models;
- Lead the development of study questions by implementing a cradle-to-grave process that properly identifies and defines issues and outlines study questions for development into study plans;
- Develop and document essential elements of analysis specific to each study to answer its set of study questions
- Analyze and evaluate measures of effectiveness/measures of performance and study implications based on data produced from the models
- Implement a verification process that incorporates the proper framing of study questions, conduct research and coordination to capture data necessary to populate the models, and configure and program the model(s). The technical experts and analytical working group described above shall be included in this process.
- Implement a validation process that analyzes model output by interacting with operator/planner subject matter experts. The contractor shall use the model output in other models to properly apply rigor to the analysis
- Assist USCENTCOM in crafting insights and conclusions produced from the simulations of these studies
- Brief leadership on analytic insights
- Provide modeling, simulation and analysis in support of wargaming.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in an Operations Research Systems Analysis (ORSA) related field.
- Experience with Joint Operational Planning Process.
- Modeling and Simulation experience.
- Knowledge of Extended Air Defense Simulation (EADSIM), Naval Simulation System (NSS), Systems Tool Kit (STK), and/or the Synthetic Theater Operations Research Model (STORM).
- A demonstrated knowledge of DOD organizations and agencies, experience with operations supporting a Combatant Command Headquarters or senior level government agency, and experience as a senior level professional on a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience in the formulation and application of mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists management with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions.
- Experience in collecting and analyzing data and development of decision support software, service, or products.
- Experience with developing and supplying optimal time, cost, or logistics networks for program evaluation, review, or implementation.
- Working knowledge of the DoD and applicable programs and experience with operations within a 4-star geographic combatant command.
- Must be a US citizen with a current DOD Top Secret clearance and ability to gain and maintain SCI as a condition of employment.
- Proficient in the use of all Microsoft Office products, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Adobe Acrobat products.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master's degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university in a discipline applicable to the effort and a minimum of five years of practical experience in the area relating to ORSA
- Previous experience on a Combatant Command staff (military, government civilian, or contractor)
- Previous experience on the USCENTCOM staff
- Experience with Extended Air Defense Simulation (EADSIM), Naval Simulation System (NSS), Systems Tool Kit (STK), and/or the Synthetic Theater Operations Research Model (STORM).
- Joint Staff experience
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers