To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Albuquerque, NM
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Peer Support Specialist - Albuquerque, NM
UnitedHealth Group • Albuquerque, NM
Posted 16 days ago
Energize your career with one of Healthcare’s fastest growing companies.
You dream of a great career with a great company - where you can make an impact and help people. We dream of giving you the opportunity to do just this. And with the incredible growth of our business, it’s a dream that definitely can come true. Already one of the world’s leading Healthcare companies, UnitedHealth Group is restlessly pursuing new ways to operate our Service Centers, improve our Service levels and help people lead healthier lives. We live for the opportunity to make a difference and right now, we are living it up.
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum - a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 14 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions, and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their Healthcare needs, and stay on track with their Health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation, and Performance.
- Meet with the peer in their home and form supportive relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Use his/her own Recovery experience and training to assist families and consumers with defining their Recovery goals, and developing the skills and knowledge needed for the consumer’s recovery.
- Support the creation and assist with the implementation of a comprehensive Training and Education program with peers, families, Providers and staff.
- Establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships with existing Consumer and Family organizations, so members of those organizations become actively involved with Optum/Health Plan activities.
- Communicate Plan information to consumers and Consumer-operated organizations and with families and family organizations. In addition to communicating, a wide array of other topics including Clinical policies, analysis of data and Program evaluation.
- Identify and outreach to community and leaders of ethnic minority groups to identify and develop programs that are both culturally competent and also use recovery and resiliency.
- As directed, serve as a designated member of internal subcommittees.
- Participate in Optum and Health Plan Quality Review processes.
- Enable us to communicate effectively with consumers and their families about all aspects of the Mental Healthcare Delivery system as well as their rights and responsibilities.
- As requested, provide support to consumer or family members in making needed appointments.
- Work with the Clinical Program Managers and the Clinical team to implement intensive, enhanced care coordination when requested, which may include peer support as well as other community-based services designed to stabilize the consumer’s condition, including working with the consumer in the development of a WRAP plan and a Crisis plan.
- Be available to provide direct support to consumers being discharged from 24-hour care or to refer them to a support group.
- Assist and support consumers and family members with Grievance processes.
- Collaborate with Care Managers, Providers, and Community agencies and organizations to facilitate access to and transition between services.
- Collaborate with Care Managers, providers, and community agencies and organizations to identify consumers who may benefit from peer support.
- Respond to concerns and questions from consumers and families.
- Participate in Treatment planning with consumers and families who request that support.
- Work with the Ombudsman, if requested, to provide information and assistance to consumers who have received a Notice of Action.
- Work with community agencies along with and/or on behalf of consumers and families.
- Provide feedback about Treatment planning development based on their interactions with other consumers and families.
- Advocate on behalf of the consumers and families.
- Provide peer support to consumers and family members at critical points in their treatment process.
- Serve as liaison between Optum, the Health Plan and those who use services.
- Invite and support consumers, parents and family members to participate in all phases of the operation of Optum and the Health Plan, from the Governing Body and Mental Health Advisory Board to Quality Assurance/Performance Improvement (QA/PI) Committees and all other critical initiatives.
- Integrity - Can be relied upon to act ethically, to safeguard confidential information and to adhere to the UnitedHealth Group Code of Conduct and all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Leadership - Ability to build a sense of shared purpose and commitment in others
- Coaching - guides others and provides education on person centered thinking
- Decision - making makes quality decisions in a timely manner
- Relationship building - Networks outside and inside the organization and builds positive strategic relationship with key individuals and advocacy groups.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 1+ years of peer support experience
- Must be able to travel within the local area up to 70%
- Must be willing to successfully complete the Certified Peer Specialist Training program within one year of employment
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to client and/or patient sites within a designated area
- Self-disclosure as a current or former consumer of Mental Health or Substance Abuse services
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of recovery and resiliency
- Must be willing to use your experience in recovery and resiliency to help others.
- Ability to facilitate training events and other peer support activities
- Previous experience working with a computer on a daily basis and utilizing Microsoft Office in a professional setting
- Certified Peer Specialists (CPSS) in the State of service
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.