To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Schaumburg, IL
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Government Relations/Corporate Communications Specialist
Central Garden & Pet • Schaumburg, IL
Posted 9 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
We are searching for a Government Relations/Corporate Communications Specialist to work on our Corporate Communications team. Reporting to the Director of Corporate Communications and Government Relations, he/she assists with the development and implementation of internal and external PR campaigns with the goal of enriching the company's position with government officials, employees and public. He/she assists with conceptualizing, writing and implementation of company communications programs including press releases, white papers, announcements, newsletters, and digital media content.
The government relations responsibilities include monitoring legislation and activities at the federal, state and county government that could affect the use and sale of company products. Using both internal and external communications, this position will interact with senior staff members, trade association legislative committees, government officials, advocacy groups and citizens to promote Central’s legislative objectives. If you find your skills match the qualifications we are seeking below, we invite you to apply for this position!
Central Garden & Pet Company (NASDAQ:CENT), is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet, lawn and garden supplies markets. This position, in addition to supporting the government relations and the communications needs of Central Garden & Pet, also works closely with the Central Life Sciences (CLS) business unit which focuses on improving the health, well-being, and the protection of companion animals, economic animals, plants, stored grains and the environment.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Works with the Director of Corporate Communications and Government Affairs to administer activities and daily operations related to corporate communications and governmental relations support function
- Regularly communicates with internal management, and local, regional and national officials with respect to keeping products available in a variety of markets
- Compile daily clips from media monitoring resources of relevant industry news for distribution internally and externally with industry partners who look to the company for leadership on issues
- Maintains spreadsheet of government contact information
- This description is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties or projects may be assigned
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in communications, business, marketing, English, public relations, political science; at least 2 - 4 years of professional level experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities outlined. Prior work experience in a regulated industry – chemical, food, and pharmaceutical is beneficial.
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional writing, proofreading and editing skills with excellent attention to detail
- Experience in the development, planning, and implementation of short- and long-range goals/projects paying careful attention to budgets, resources, and deadlines
- General knowledge of state and Federal government organization and legislative processes, including budget and appropriations processes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Good working knowledge in Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner
- Office working conditions
- Infrequent business travel may be required (10 - 20%)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.