To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Irving, TX
- GDH Consulting
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
GDH Consulting • Irving, TX
Posted 13 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
RIGHT OF WAY AGENT - Franchise Specialist
This position will have primary responsibility to manage the process to obtain multiple telecommunications franchise agreements from local governments within a given market. Candidate must have the ability to analyze and determine rights and obligations under federal, state, and local laws, case law, and regulations regarding a telecommunications carriers use of the public right-of-way. The candidate will be the primary interface with local (city/county) governments and will work directly with local government representatives to apply for franchises, receive proposed franchise agreements, compare franchises to competitor agreements and applicable law, exchange redline edits to proposed agreements, assist in the negotiation and finalization of franchise agreement ordinances, and shepherd the franchise through the city council or county commission approval process. Work effort will also include the submission of required items such as high level plans, state commission or secretary of state certificates, insurance certificates, surety bonds, and business licenses. Candidate will advocate company positions before local government representatives which may include workshops and public hearings.
Candidate must have the ability to lead the franchise acquisition process for a given market, participate in cross functional team, and to communicate effectively to upper management. Will receives general guidance for the accomplishment of short to medium term goals and operating objectives, but must have the ability work independently to achieve desired goals.
Acts independently and exercises independent judgment and discretion within defined practices to select appropriate methods or techniques for obtaining solutions. Work is varied and requires frequent interpretation. Typically resolves complex problems which may require adaptation of standardized practice.
(Minimum requirements to perform the role at a satisfactory level)
While a licensed attorney or holder of a J.D. degree is preferred, candidate will not represent Verizon as an attorney. An applicant without a law degree may be a viable candidate so long as they have extensive legal statute, case law, and preferably telecommunications industry experience. Requires a broad range of skills within a professional discipline to effectively perform complex assignments; demands familiarity with principles, theories, concepts and technologies as well as applied knowledge of established procedures, policies and practices.
* 8-10 years professional experience.
* Licensed attorney or J.D. degree preferred.
* Ability to analyze federal, state, and local laws, applicable case law, and other regulations regarding a telecommunications providers use of municipal rights of way.
* Understanding and experience regarding Section 253 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, including the equitable and nondiscriminatory treatment as determined by federal and state case law.
* Telecommunications industry knowledge including large and small cell wireless applications, understanding of regulations and obligations applicable to an Incumbent Local Exchange Carriers (ILECs) versus Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLECs), and FCC and state PSC/PUC regulation.
* Ability to understand complex business plans and to successfully negotiate contract terms and conditions to meet company objectives.
* Ability to compare competitor franchise agreements to those proposed by local governments, note variations, and negotiate for equitable treatment.
* Ability to persuade others through well thought arguments that comply with applicable law, meet municipal requirements, reduce unnecessary or burdensome regulations, and allow for effective franchise compliance moving forward.
* Experience with local government franchise ordinance approval process including document preparation, workshops, and city council public hearing process.
* Ability to represent Verizon at city council or county commission meetings in a professional and persuasive manner to effectively communicate company objectives.
* Familiarity with certificates of insurance, surety bonds, and letters of credit.
* Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
* SAP experience a plus.
Working Conditions/Special Requirements:
Normal office environment - 600 Hidden Ridge, Irving, TX. Overtime may be required on an as-needed basis. Occasional travel may be required.
Interested candidates please send resume in Word format to Please reference job code
when responding to this ad.