To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Elizabeth, NJ
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Gate Gourmet • Elizabeth, NJ
Posted 30 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world’s largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
We are currently looking for a transportation supervisor to join our transportation team based in Newark, New Jersey. Reporting to Transportation Manager, Transportation Supervisor coordinates services between the kitchen and drivers and controls activities on the dock. The Transportation Supervisor is responsible for supervising drivers and driver assistants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Ensures quality production standards are maintained for all accounts
- Responsible for obtaining control sheets and making assignments for team drivers to flights daily
- Checks dock area to ensure that employees have required equipment and that trucks leave according to scheduled dock departure
- Checks that all teams are catering correct aircraft and flights
- Ensures that all employees are in compliance with safety procedures and Airport Transport Authority badging requirements
- Works with management staff to improve performance of the unit
- Assists teams with late flights and equipment changes
- Responsible for getting information from airlines on service requirements and updates
- Maintains radio contact with Operations Manager, meal planer and leads during operation
- Conducts regular checks of the kitchen to ensure no equipment was left behind after flights leave the kitchen
- Responsible for security and proper transportation of galleys and maintaining cleanliness of vehicles
- Responsible for safety, quality and compliance with customer specifications and regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Ensures specifications, airline diagrams, and other standards are accurate according to the airline specifications.
- Ensures that all products are coded according to Gate Gourmet procedures.
- Works with maintenance staff to ensure preventive maintenance of machinery and fleet according to schedules, reports maintenance and repair issues in timely manner.
- Maintains Company policies and procedures as well as specification books for airline customers
- Maintains all financial goals related to material, productivity, overtime, and labor goals
- Prepares management reports (ex. attendance, HAACCP and labor) as required.
- Responsible for supervising drivers and driver assistants
- Trains and monitors employees on proper work procedures to ensure maximum productivity and security with minimum labor and food costs
- Responsible for performance evaluation, coaching, counseling and preparing corrective action for employees and liaises appropriately with HR and other support functions.
- Manages work flow balancing - - the division of responsibilities amongst employees on each shift including assignment of responsibilities and workstations.
- Determines when and whether to call employees in to cover staffing needs (ex. sick calls, vacation relief, medical leaves, volume changes, etc.)
- In conjunction with department leaders determines number of employees needed by shift
- Responsible for employee retention and monitors employee turnover.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associates degree or degree from a 4 year university or college preferred.
Work Experience :
- Minimum 3 years experience working as a delivery driver and/or in a customer service capacity required
- Minimum of 2 year supervisory experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production, restaurant or catering environment or equivalent experience in the related field is preferred
- Experience working in the airline industry is preferred
Job Skills :
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to supervise and motivate others
- Dedication to excellence and a strong work ethic
- Attention to detail and compliance oriented
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to adjust to operational needs as they arise
- Ability to work under pressure and able to make sound decisions.
- Basic computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office products required.
Communication Skills :
- Expresses oneself clearly and effectively when speaking and writing to individuals and groups; listening attentively and insuring communication is understood by all parties involved
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish/Chinese Mandarin/Vietnamese/Hindi or Polish a plus
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations :
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass a DMV verification process
- Clean driving record that does not contain moving violations, accidents
- Ability to obtain Airport Transport Authority badge required
- Ability to obtain Customs Seal for Airport Transport Authority badge required.
- CDL driver’s license is a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time.
Environmental Requirements :
- Regularly stands, walks, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours
- In a normal production kitchen facility there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise
- Ability to lift, push, pull or maneuver 50-75 lbs
- Ability to work outdoors 75-80% of the time
- Ability to work at heights of or about 50 feet.
- Ability to work weekends and a flexible schedule as needed.
Demonstrated Competencies to be Successful in the Position :
- Thinking - Information search and analysis, problem resolution skills
- Engaging - understanding others, team leadership, developing people
- Inspiring - influencing and building relationships, motivating and inspiring, communicating effectively
- Achieving - delivering business results under pressure, championing performance improvement, customer focus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Candidates will be required to go through pre-employment drug screen, criminal check and/or airport fingerprinting.
Gategroup is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status or other category protected under applicable law.
For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.