To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Maryland Heights, MO
Sorry, we cannot save this job right now.
Report this Job
CMO - UnitedHealth Care Community Plan of Missouri
UnitedHealth Group • Maryland Heights, MO
Posted 10 days ago
The C&S Plan Chief Medical Officer has accountability for ensuring that local health plan , United Clinical Services and UHC initiatives focusing on clinical excellence, quality ratings improvement, appropriate inpatient and outpatient utilization, health care affordability, health system transformation including provider network issues, mandated provisions and compliance, growth and focused improvement are implemented and successfully managed to achieve goals. This position reports to the local C&S plan President and has dotted line relationships to the C&S Chief Medical Officer and UCS market-assigned Regional Chief Medical Officer The C&S Plan CMO’s primary responsibilities are directed towards C&S plan activities as defined by the C&S plan CEO and also collaborates with United Clinical Services (UCS) staff including the regional Chief Medical Officer, and other market and regional matrix partners to implement programs to support and meet market C&S, UHC/UCS and line of business goals.
- Quality and Affordability - The Plan CMO has primary responsibility and accountability for Total Medical PMPM performance and targets for the local C&S plan. This will require a close working relationship with UCS clinical operations teams as well as with the C&S and UCS national affordability team. Activities will include conducting hospital Joint Operations Committee meetings with prioritized providers in coordination with Network and UCS, contributing to--and implementing--regional Medical Cost Operating Team (MCOT) decisions, data sharing with physicians and physician groups on quality and efficiency improvement opportunities, and implementing local Health Care Affordability Initiatives. The Medical director will serve as clinical lead for healthcare affordability initiatives at the local market and establishing a process for sharing data with hospitals and physicians and completing peer to peer communications as required. Additionally the Plan CMO has primary responsibility to oversee new clinical model operations including Person-Centered Care Models (PCCM), (Accountable Care Community/ACC) relationships, and new Models of Care programs such as those defined by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). S/he will support UCS and UHN initiatives and Quality Affordability Programs as required in order to achieve the appropriate inpatient and outpatient utilization and affordability goals of the C&S Health Plan and United Clinical Services/UHC. CMO is accountable for leading the UCS relationship- including managing the local organization to meet national requirements. The Plan CMO has oversight responsibility of the C&S market peer review process as defined by State regulator as well as participating in or leading the Peer Review committee.
- Clinical Excellence - The C&S plan CMO helps oversee the HEDIS and STARs data collection process and local performance strategy, , CAHPS improvement strategy, and drive Health Plan accreditation activities as well as quality rating initiatives for the local CMS plan. The plan CMO is accountable for HEDIS,Stars and local state performance measures for the Local C&S plan. This Medical director may also act in a similar capacity for Non C&S HEDIS, STARs as directed by UCS regional CMO. Acts as an improvement catalyst for all quality-related efforts including Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services Star initiatives. Communicate to providers on new focus and measure/process changes. Supports all Clinical Quality initiatives and peer review processes including Quality of Care and Quality of Service issues. Participates or leads Physician Advisory Committees (PAC); Quality Management Committee (QMC) and other associated quality focused committees.
- Relationship Equity and State Compliance - The Plan CMO maintains a strong working knowledge of all government mandates and provisions for the local C&S market, as well as working across the enterprise to implement and maintain compliant clinical programs and procedures. S/he also is committed to being effectively engaged with our external constituents such as consumers/members, physicians, medical and specialty societies, hospitals and hospital associations, federal/state regulators, (9/19/2014) and market-based collaborative. The CMO will work collaboratively in these activities with ongoing UCS initiatives under the aegis of UCS Regional CMO. The Plan CMO will be the outward face to State regulators based upon Contract, and direction of Plan President and C&S CMO and should provide clinical thought leadership with external entities and the state All public speaking and media documents must be approved by UHC’s Chief Medical Officer and Community and State’s Chief Medical Officer.
- Innovation - The Plan CMO leads the clinical interface with care providers and UHC network management colleagues in efforts to transform the health system. Primary local responsibility is to drive PCCM/Accountable Care Community (ACC) growth through identification of appropriate practices; initial contact and target setting, and Implementation, as well as ongoing leadership during monthly JOCs. CMO is accountable for oversight of the entire clinical model (end to end) within the market. Knowledge of Value Based contracting variants for C&S will be essential Secondary responsibility will include but not limited to, UHC’s Accountable Care Platform, clinical practice transformation, patient-centered medical homes, accountable care organizations, creative care management programs, high-performance networks and network optimization, and consumer engagement.
- Growth -This medical director delivers the clinical value proposition focused on quality, affordability and service, in support of growth activities of the C&S Health Plan and the plan CMO reviews and edits communications materials as required, and represents the voice of the market-based customer in program design. CMO contributes to any RFP/re-procurement activity in the state. The Plan CMO actively promotes positive relations with State/local regulatory authorities and Medical Societies and records such in online Physician Engagement (PEI) tool
- Focused Improvement –The Plan CMO is responsible for identifying opportunities through participation in regional and local Medical Cost Operating Teams or Market reviews, National MCOT. S/he actively participates in Joint Operating Committees. S/he also provides local feedback on and oversight of the performance Optum Behavioral Solutions and OptumHealth as needed. Additional responsibilities include the timely collection and entry of information into Online Engagement Survey tools and scorecards; developing action plans for sub-optimal results; and taking a leadership role in Quality Affordability Programs initiatives.
- Grievance and Appeals - The Plan CMO maintains an active liaison with UCS G&A, and is responsible for representing the Local C&S plan at State-level Fair Hearings.
- Licensed physician; Board Certified in an ABMS or AOBMS specialty
- 5+ years clinical practice experience; strong knowledge of managed care industry and the Medicaid line of business
- 2+ years of Quality management experience
- Familiarity with current medical issues and practices
- Strong leadership skills, as demonstrated by continuously improved results, team building, and effectiveness in a highly matrixed organization
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Superior presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences
- Proven ability to develop relationships with network and community physicians and other providers
- Excellent project management skills
- Solid data analysis and interpretation skills; ability to focus on key metrics
- Strong team player and team building skills
- Strategic thinking with proven ability to communicate a vision and drive results
- Solid negotiation and conflict management skills
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications