Our purpose: To connect people with great local businesses
10 Things You Should Know About Yelp
- Yelp was founded in 2004 to help people find great local businesses like dentists, hair stylists and mechanics.
- Yelp had an average of approximately 78 million monthly unique visitors in Q2 2012.
- Yelpers have written over 30 million local reviews.
- In addition to reviews, you can use Yelp to find events, lists and to talk with other Yelpers.
- Every business owner (or manager) can setup a free account to post photos and message her customers.
- Yelp makes money by selling ads to local businesses - you'll see these clearly labeled "Yelp Ads" around the site.
- Paying advertisers can never change or re-order their reviews.
- Yelp has an automated filter that suppresses a small portion of reviews - it targets those suspicious ones you see on other sites.
- You can access Yelp via iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and more - see the full list of mobile apps here.
- The Weekly Yelp brings locals updates on the latest and greatest business openings & other happenings