Marklund is a nonprofit organization that serves infants, children, teens and adults with serious and profound developmental disabilities and special healthcare needs.
With two residential locations--Marklund at Mill Creek in Geneva and the Marklund Philip Center in Bloomingdale, Illinois, it is currently home to nearly 120 clients.
It is a Day School offering Multi-Needs and Life Skills programs for children and young adults with special needs, and those diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum.It is a skilled nursing unit for medically fragile children and adults, and a developmental training center for adults who need extra assistance in managing their disabilities.
At Marklund, everything we do begins with caring for each and every child or adult as a member of our own family. Many of our clients are non-ambulatory and have severe cognitive deficits due to genetic disorders, complications during pregnancy and delivery, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, or drug abuse during pregnancy. Others acquired disabilities during infancy or childhood through tragic but common accidents involving cars, bicycles, skateboards, swimming pools, garage doors and guns. Many have complex medical problems that require 24-hour skilled nursing care.
But at Marklund, our clients are helped to rise above their disabilities. Our goal is to make everyday life possible for individuals with profound disabilities.
Our Mission & Philosophy
Marklund makes everyday life possible for individuals with profound disabilities.
Our Philosophy of Care:
At Marklund it is our goal to help each individual rise above their limitations, reach their highest potential and live as full a life as possible.
Programs And Services
Marklund’s vision of “Making Everyday Life Possible for Individuals with Profound Disabilities” is demonstrated through every service we offer. Each of Marklund’s programs and services are designed to provide individuals with special healthcare needs a full life experience.
- Compassionate daily care from committed and educated staff. All direct care employees are dual-certified as Certified Nursing Assistants and Designated Support Persons.
- Quality medical and dental care provided by outstanding professionals. Each residential site has a medical director. Marklund’s dentist has been working with our clients for more than 20 years, and its hygienist has served the organization for more than 40 years.
- Home-like residential facilities in both Bloomingdale and Geneva are focused on providing exceptional care.
- State-of-the-art rehabilitative therapies including computer assistive devices, aquatic therapy, snoezelen therapy rooms, physical therapy equipment, occupational therapy, and more.
- Quality and cutting-edge education and pre-vocation services. Educational and Developmental Training programming includes activities of daily living, communication development, physical & occupational therapy, speech & language therapy, music therapy, snoezelen therapy, recreational therapy with adapted sports leagues, leisure activities, aromatherapy, aquatic therapy in our on-side pool, and more. We also offer a wide range of daily community outings for client participation.
- Community-based program, REST (Respite Education and Support Tools), shows that Marklund is dedicated to meeting the needs of families who are caring for their loved ones at home.
- Educational services provided through the Marklund Day School at its Bloomingdale location provides very specialized curriculum and therapies to student’s ages 3-22 who have highly complex medical needs, developmental disabilities and who are diagnosed on the autism spectrum. All students have a right to an education and Marklund provides that as part of its mission to enrich the lives of those with special healthcare needs.