Eastern Iowa Community College District
EICCD was established in 1965 by the Iowa General Assembly as one of 15 community college merged areas. The move combined Clinton Junior College, Muscatine Junior College and the vocational-technical programs of the Davenport schools.
In 1979 the District acquired Palmer Junior College to make Scott Community College a comprehensive institution.
Clinton Community College
Clinton Junior College opened in September 1946 as a division of the Clinton Public School System with 86 students, half of them World War II veterans. Classes were conducted at Clinton High School until 1965 when the college's own building opened. Between 1956 and 1965, enrollment tripled and today the college's enrollment tops 1,500. The college changed it's name in 1964 to Clinton Community College to reflect its philosophy and comprehensive objectives. In 1966 it became part of EICCD.
In addition to its main campus, Clinton Community College serves students through an outreach program in Maquoketa, the Clinton Business and Industry Center (BIC) and the Graphic Arts Technology Center.
Muscatine Community College
Muscatine Junior College was established in 1929 to provide the first two years of a baccalaureate degree. Additional programs were added as the college expanded to meet the diverse needs of the community, and in 1962 the name was changed to Muscatine Community College to reflect its broader mission. The agriculture-business program established in 1965 has since been copied nationwide. The college became a part of EICCD in 1966 and is housed on an attractive 27-acre site in north Muscatine. Enrollment is more than 1,500 and many more residents are served by continuing and adult education and the Muscatine Business and Industry Center.
Scott Community College
In 1966 Scott Community College was formed by an act of the Iowa General Assembly. At that time, began offering the limited number of career technology programs for adults and high school youth previously held by the Davenport Community School System. It continued to offer solely career programs until 1979 when it added arts and sciences programs through a merger with Palmer Junior College.
From an initial enrollment of 240 students in 1966 to more than 5,000 currently, Scott Community College grew to include the Career Assistance Center and the Urban Center, both in downtown Davenport, as well as the main campus in Bettendorf, situated on 181 acres of land donated by the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA).
Further growth occurred in 1994 when the college received the Kahl Building in downtown Davenport as a gift from local philanthropist V.O. Figge and his family. The Kahl Educational Center opened in the Fall of 1996 to better serve residents in western and central Davenport. Most recently, the college constructed the Blong Technology Center just off Interstate 80, north of Davenport. Opened in 1991, the center is devoted to training students for the manufacturing jobs of today and tomorrow.
In addition, many more students participate in continuing education and retraining programs through the Eastern Iowa Business and Industry Center.