Lowes Foods began in 1954 as a single store in Wilkesboro, NC, and has grown to become a major supermarket chain operating in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The company grew rapidly during the 1960s, '70s and early '80s. Lowes Foods was acquired by Merchants Distributors, Inc. (MDI) in 1984 and began an aggressive expansion program in 1986, opening 19 stores over the next four years. In 1997, Lowes Foods acquired Byrds Food Stores, located in eastern North Carolina. It continued its growth in 2000 with the purchase of 13 Hannaford stores. Today Lowes Foods operates more than 100 stores and continues to open new stores throughout North and South Carolina.
Lowes Foods has always had a strong customer orientation. Our stores reflect the varied needs and desires of shoppers in different areas. Stores, products and services are continually updated to meet the changing needs of customers. In the 1990s, Lowes Foods introduced FreshSmart stores, with an emphasis on customer service and fresh produce, meat, seafood, deli and bakery items. While selection may vary from store to store, our commitment to quality, value and service are the same no matter where you shop.