Applied Underwriters is currently searching for an experienced attorney to work out of our Orange, CA office. Candidates must have a minimum of FIVE years workers’ compensation defense experience handling all phases of litigation. Qualified candidates must possess excellent communication skills, strong client interaction skills, an ability to handle a busy case load and to work as a team player. Competitive salary and excellent benefit package.
This position is responsible for representing Applied Underwriters in litigated workers' compensation claims. The Claims Litigation Attorney will take depositions, appear at hearings, negotiate settlements, and perform legal research and writing, all subject to the direction of Applied Underwriters' Claims Adjusters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Effectively manage and execute all aspects of the claims litigation process.
· Effectively interact with and take direction from Claims Adjusters and business partners to exercise sound judgment/strategy.
· Attend mediations, trials, depositions and hearings at various board locations or other legal proceedings as required.
· Develop appropriate litigation strategy and settlement solutions.
· Prepare settlement evaluations and negotiate settlements.
· Research, review and interpret legal opinions, pleadings, expert reports, and case law.
· Perform other essential duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
· J.D. from an accredited law school
· California State Bar membership.
· OUTSTANDING skills in research, analysis, written and oral persuasion, interrogation, negotiation, strategic planning and investigation.
· Persuasive communication and tenacity.
· 3 to 5 years' experience with workers' compensation litigation.
· Strong knowledge of industrial medicine.
· Good time management and organizational skills
· Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
Paid medical and other health benefits, matching 401K, tuition reimbursement, fitness membership reimbursement, PTO plan, and other benefits.