Senior Software Engineer II/Solutions Application Architect
The PST team is a collaborative team of seven team members including a project manager, four software engineers, a business analyst and a software quality assurance engineer within the PRISM Department. The team supports applications utilized for the assessment and valuation of securities owned by state regulated insurance companies and investment analysis support. The team also supports applications for support of sales of NAIC Publications, financial statement data files, and securities valuation data. The team has recently completed the rollout of two new systems and will start a multi-year project to create a new suite of applications for the securities valuation data utilizing the latest NAIC-approved technology.
The Senior Software Engineer II position will lead and support technical initiatives for the team. This includes being part of the leadership team for the multi-year system rewrite and the initiative to implement JBoss.
Candidate possessing extensive business experience for the applications the team supports, as well as technical experience required, may be eligible to fill the role of Solutions Application Architect (SAA) for the team. The SAA will provide a bridge between specific business problems and issues and the technology solutions. This will include working closely with the NAIC’s Architect and Enterprise teams as the primary technical liaison for the team.
- Implements application design by utilizing development languages and tools.
- Develops and executes test plans (unit testing) for assigned projects.
- Delivers quality code that meets requirements and specifications on time, based on work estimates they establish.
- Leads large, complex projects with known or new development tools.
- Effectively works on several tasks concurrently.
- Writes and maintains documentation on any technical development completed.
- Gathers and documents business and technical requirements for the organization’s projects as necessary.
- Troubleshoots and resolves data and application software problems as assigned, and for the organization as necessary
- Regularly demonstrates initiative and is proactive by identifying potential problems that may occur.
- Maintains systems and programs on a 24x7 basis by aiding user groups in problem resolution and working to resolve software/hardware or system logic problems.
- Is customer focused and meets customers’ business requirements and evaluates the requirements and makes recommendations.
- Completes feasibility studies to solve organization problems or needs.
- Communicates regularly on project status
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Associates Degree in Applied Science specific to Computer Science, and 12 or more years related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Must have extensive experience with the entire development life cycle; starting with the analysis, design, construction, implementation, and following it through to the evolution phases. Experience leading a team is preferred.
- Required experience in Oracle, SQL
- Required experience in JAVA development in a work environment
- Required experience managing projects using formal Project Management Practices & Accountabilities
- Required experience managing projects using System Design Life Cycle processes
- Required experience developing web front and back ends
- Required experience in Java/J2EE and JDBC or ODBC (object-oriented programming/concepts)
- Strongly prefer experience creating Use Cases and UML Diagrams to drive out requirements.
- Strongly prefer experience with Object-oriented analysis and design (OOAD) techniques
- Strongly prefer experience with Web Services design and implementation, SOAP, and XML
- Strongly prefer experience in Unix, C++, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming and Enterprise Java Beans
- Strongly prefer experience in stored procedures, CGI, Access
- Strongly prefer experience using Eclipse
- Experience with JavaServer Faces, JPA, and JBoss Seam and Ajax a plus
| Employment Type:
| Base Pay:
| Other Pay:
|| To Be Determined
| Manages Others:
| Required Travel:
| Job ID:
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is the U.S. standard-setting and regulatory support organization created and governed by the chief insurance regulators from the 50 states, the District of Columbia and five U.S. territories. Through the NAIC, state insurance regulators establish standards and best practices, conduct peer review, and coordinate their regulatory oversight. NAIC staff supports these efforts and represents the collective views of state regulators domestically and internationally. NAIC members, together with the central resources of the NAIC, form the national system of state-based insurance regulation in the U.S.
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.